Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Char23 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2013, 10:52 PM
    Breastfeeding
    Is it bad to smoke if I breastfeed my newborn child?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 16, 2013, 10:55 PM
    Yes. The smoke will be on you. On your clothes, etc. The child will breathe this in. Unless you plan to take a shower after each cigarette, you shouldn't breastfeed.

Feb 16, 2013, 10:59 PM
    Breastfeeding
    What are the effects to your infant if you smoke marijuana and breastfeed?
    Expert

Feb 16, 2013, 11:05 PM
    Well, your child gets addicted to marijuana and you have your child placed in foster care.

What is more important to you? The drug or the innocent child?

I deliver babies for a living. I teach breastfeeding. People like you who even question this make me sick.

Feb 16, 2013, 11:10 PM
    Who says that I'm doing it?
    It's a simple question, Calm down .
    Your nobody to judge

Feb 16, 2013, 11:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Well, your child gets addicted to marijuana and you have your child placed in foster care.

What is more important to you? The drug or the innocent child?

I deliver babies for a living. I teach breastfeeding. People like you who even question this make me sick.

Who says that I'm doing it?
    It's a simple question, Calm down .
    Your nobody to judge
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 16, 2013, 11:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Char23 View Post
    Your nobody to judge
    Yes, she is. She deals with new moms all the time and with breastfeeding.
    Expert

Feb 16, 2013, 11:18 PM
    I am a labor and delivery nurse as well as a neonatal nurse. Yes, I am one to judge. If you aren't the one doing it, then who is?

I can tell you horror stories of babies coming off common nicotine from cigarettes, you don't want me to go into the medicinal and legal aspects of illicit drugs such as marijuana.

Feb 16, 2013, 11:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Yes, she is. She deals with new moms all the time and with breastfeeding.
    Like I said. She is still nobody to judge, never did I say I was doing it. You go on here to get your Questions answered. Not get Opinions. Simple as that.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 16, 2013, 11:24 PM
    Like i said. She is still nobody to judge, never did i say i was doing it. You go on here to get your Questions answered. Not get Opinions. Simple as that.
    And she very nicely answered your questions, and without her opinion, but with her professional experience and knowledge.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Feb 16, 2013, 11:24 PM
    Like i said. She is still nobody to judge, never did i say i was doing it. You go on here to get your Questions answered. Not get Opinions. Simple as that.
    Absolutely not true! When you come on this site, you get answers, including opinions. If you are asking for a friend, pass on the above information. And from a teacher's perspective, I can give you a list of educational problems caused by drugs in infants. Should I type out that list for you?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 16, 2013, 11:27 PM
    I was sternly warned by my babies' pediatricians that whatever I ate or drank or ingested would be transferred into the baby through breast milk, so I was to be very careful.

I hope you will be or are too.

Feb 16, 2013, 11:37 PM
    . "People like you who even question this make me sick"
    Is an opinion.
    & to answer your question to " if you arent the one doing it, then who is"
    Nobody. It Was A Question.
    You should not assume things that you do not know.
    Expert

Feb 16, 2013, 11:37 PM
    I'm not giving you opinions, I'm giving you professional advice. There IS a difference.

There is a new initiative in the health care field. It's called Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome. In the US, we, as nurses are required to ask you specific questions regarding illicit drug use and/or abuse. If the responses are questionable, we are required to have a UDS (urine drug screen) done at the time of admission. If, after delivery, there is questionable activity, we are required to do a UDS. If you pop positive, we then test the baby. We do a UDS on the baby as well as a meconium drug screen. We not only test the baby's pee, but we test the poop as well. The test on the meconium tells us what drugs were used during the ENTIRE pregnancy. If any of that is positive for drugs, including marijuana, CPS is called and the child is removed from the custody of the mother.

Now, we also have a new initiative in that the newborn can be tested for illicit drugs post delivery at the pediatrician's office at the discretion of the pediatrician or the nurse. If the baby pops positive, the baby is removed from the care of the mother and placed in foster care.

In this post I did not judge anyone, but provided factual information.
    Expert

Feb 16, 2013, 11:39 PM
    . "People like you who even question this make me sick"
    Is an opinion.
    & to answer your question to " if you arent the one doing it, then who is"
    You should not assume things that you do not know.
    And how do you know I haven't experienced your situation? When you ASSUME you make and A$$ out of U and Me.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 16, 2013, 11:46 PM
    Your first post asked, "Is it bad to smoke if i breastfeed my newborn child?"

Feb 17, 2013, 12:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Your first post asked, "Is it bad to smoke if i breastfeed my newborn child?"
    Wondergirl:
    That is a question. What are you trying to imply?
    &to
    j_9 , you obviously haven't been through that situation because you said people who ask things like that make you sick... Got anything else smart to say or what, seems like you've got all day ha.

&teacherjenn4 ,
    Yes I would like a list please. Thanks you're actually answering my question & not wasting my time.
    Education Expert

Feb 17, 2013, 12:11 AM
    Wondergirl:
    That is a question. What are you trying to imply?
    &to
    j_9 , you obviously havent been through that situation because you said people who ask things like that make you sick... Got anything else smart to say or what, seems like you've got all day ha.

&teacherjenn4 ,
    Yes i would like a list please. Thanks you're actually answering my question & not wasting my time.
    Learning disabilities, lower IQ scores, attention difficulties, behavioral issues.

Feb 17, 2013, 12:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    Learning disabilities, lower IQ scores, attention difficulties, behavioral issues.
    Okay, Now I know not to smoke and breastfeed, I'm a new mom & I don't know much about breastfeeding. Thanks.
    Education Expert

Feb 17, 2013, 12:19 AM
    Okay, Now i know not to smoke and breastfeed, im a new mom & i dont know much about breastfeeding. Thanks.
    Please remember that everything you ingest will pass on to your baby. Be very careful.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Breastfeeding ? [ 2 Answers ]

What happens to your breastmilk if you choose to not breastfeed? Some people have told me your body absorbs the milk, others have told me it turns to fat in your body, I'm not sure if it varies depending on the woman, if you opted not to breastfeed, did your breasts go back to their original size...

Breastfeeding [ 4 Answers ]

Hi Im wondering can somebody help me. Im expressing all my milk as I had terrible latching on problems.I express 2-3 times a day and was advised by my health nurse to express 10 minutes on one breast then ten on the other,then maybe 6 minutes on each breast and then maybe 4 minutes,all the while...

Breastfeeding [ 4 Answers ]

If I breastfeed will it make my nipples a little bit bigger? :D

View more questions Search