Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    babygurl_03 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2013, 03:33 AM
    Question of paternity after 9 years
    I am in the middle of a divorce. The father of my children told our oldest daughter out of spite for me that he may not be her father. This is true. He has known this since the day I told him I was pregnant. When she was born he said he wanted to sign the birth certificate and not take the dna test. Now, we are fighting for custody and I am afraid that I will lose her. She wants the test done to know who her father is. My question is can he possibly get custody of a child if she isn't biologically his if the other possible father wants to be in her life as well? The other possible father was under the impression that we the test done and that she was my husbands.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 18, 2013, 04:37 AM
    First not knowing where this is happening at it would be hard to state what might happen. Another thing is that in many states after a given time there can be no challenge.

To answer the question of can he get custody and not be the biological father.. Yes.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 18, 2013, 06:16 AM
    By signing the birth certificate he legally acknowledged paternity. For 9 years he has acted as her father. The likelihood of challenging paternity at this late date is small, though it does depend on local laws.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 18, 2013, 07:04 AM
    The current man on the birth certificate is the legal father, after 9 years few locations will allow this to be changed. The real bio father may be able to challenge it but most places would not allow it.

But yes in most locations, the legal father, one on the birth certificate, even if not bio father, can have right to custody
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Feb 19, 2013, 01:04 AM
    The laws vary from state to state. It depends on the state which has jurisdiction.

Feb 19, 2013, 03:09 AM
    Now what if we get the test and the other man is proven the father and he wants to be in her life? My daughter has already said that if he is the father she wants to know him. Could the courts look at him telling her as bad since she is already going through so much? Putting her in more emotional distress? We have been going through divorce since may and now are in an ugly custody battle.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Feb 19, 2013, 06:25 AM
    WHERE ARE YOU?

As every other person answering has said, the answer COMPLETELY depends on where you are located.

Feb 19, 2013, 06:26 AM
    Did you not read what all of us said, that local laws are different. In some areas, there is very limited window where paternity can't be challenged. In others it can be challenged up until the child is 18. Without knowing where you are, its impossible to know what laws apply. If you have an attorney, then ask him (or her).

It is possible that the bio father can get at least visitation. I doubt seriously if just telling her he isn't her father is going to affect how the courts rule.

Feb 19, 2013, 06:34 AM
    Ohio
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 19, 2013, 06:38 AM
    Potential bio dad was lied to. I wonder if he has a case if he is the bio dad... not just for contact, but possibly something else?

Please tell us that your concern is ONLY for your daughter, and not cloaking a desire to ruin your husband's life, despite his awful remark to her. She is possibly about to be torn not just 2 ways but 3. It took two to tango and get to this point.

Feb 19, 2013, 06:47 AM
    My daughters welfare and happiness has always been important to me. He has done things that I keep from the kids because I want to protect them. We were not married when she was born. I am not out to ruin his life. I have been civil and fair and have not asked for anything. The main reason he told her is because I requested that he be drug tested and he failed. I am upset that he told her after all that she has been through already
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Feb 19, 2013, 11:16 PM
    3111.03 Presumption of paternity.
    2 (B) A presumption that arises under this section can only be rebutted by clear and convincing evidence that includes the results of genetic testing, except that a presumption that is conclusive as provided in division (A) of section 3111.95 or division (B) of section 3111.97 of the Revised Code cannot be rebutted. An acknowledgment of paternity that becomes final under section 2151.232, 3111.25, or 3111.821 of the Revised Code is not a presumption and shall be considered a final and enforceable determination of paternity unless the acknowledgment is rescinded under section 3111.28 or 3119.962 of the Revised Code. If two or more conflicting presumptions arise under this section, the court shall determine, based upon logic and policy considerations, which presumption controls.

3111.04 Standing to bring paternity action.

(A) An action to determine the existence or nonexistence of the father and child relationship may be brought by the child or the child’s personal representative, the child’s mother or her personal representative, a man alleged or alleging himself to be the child’s father, the child support enforcement agency of the county in which the child resides if the child’s mother, father, or alleged father is a recipient of public assistance or of services under Title IV-D of the “Social Security Act,” 88 Stat. 2351 (1975), 42 U.S.C.A. 651, as amended, or the alleged father’s personal representative.

(B) An agreement does not bar an action under this section.

3111.05 Statute of limitations.

An action to determine the existence or nonexistence of the father and child relationship may not be brought later than five years after the child reaches the age of eighteen. Neither section 3111.04 of the Revised Code nor this section extends the time within which a right of inheritance or a right to a succession may be asserted beyond the time provided by Chapter 2105. 2107. 2113. 2117. or 2123. Of the Revised Code.

Feb 20, 2013, 07:16 AM
    So the law as cited by GV70 an action to rebut paternity until your daughter reaches 23. Such action can be bought by any of the parties.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paternity - 5 years later [ 21 Answers ]

I had a wacko married g/f who got pregnant & did not know who the father was. I told her I wanted nothing to do with her or a baby ever! Well; She ended up going back to her husband and raised the baby for 4 years with him. He had accepted baby and treated baby as his own. Well this yer they got a...

Paternity after 15 years [ 8 Answers ]

What is the statue of limitations in the state of Texas for a paternity test after the father has signed the papers acknowledging that he is the father & after 15 years of paying court-ordered child support?

Paternity 13 years later [ 39 Answers ]

Hello everyone! Fourteen years ago I had a brief affair with a married woman. I newly discovered that I am the father of her the only son who was born thirteen years ago/ don't ask me how/. She is still married to her husband.He was mislead to think that he was the father and he is listed as my...

Paternity 12 years later [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all, I have been raising a 12 year old girl 50% of the time for the last 11 years, Her mom and I lived together for the first year. Now I find out through a dna test that her, the child and a newly discovered father took, that I'am not the bio father. The mother calls my mom to tell the...

Paternity Test 4-5 years later [ 12 Answers ]

I've been with my boyfriend for just under a year - knew him when I was a teenager though - got back in touch early last year & been together ever since. While we were out of touch, we both married & divorced, had several relationships I'm sure... but yesterday (we live together), we came home to...

View more questions Search