Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jaykid007 Posts: 74, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2007, 07:49 PM
    Head of Household
    I have two clients who are partners. They each live in the same house, both on title, and both on the mortgage. Also, they have a rental property together.
    One of the partners has two children and wants to file head of household with two dependents. The HOH requirement is that the taxpayer provide over 50% of the upkeep on the home. In this case, I would have to file the client HOH, but split the mortgage and RE taxes between them 50/50? And also do the rental 50/50 as well. The other partner that files single without the kids, wanted to take the whole tax deduction on the mortgage interest and taxes, but I was advising they don't do this and they do 50/50 because if they ever questioned the HOH, they would need to everything split, correct?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 21, 2007, 11:35 AM
    Jay:

Your are correct about splitting the mortgage interest and R/E taxes equally since they are BOTH on the title and (presumably) both equally liable to pay the mortgage payments. The HoH partner can prove he/she provides over 50% of the child's upkeep by paying for the food. If you need more than 50% for the house, just have the HoH partner claim $1 more on the mortgage interest and R/E tax to meet the "over 50% rule".
    Jaykid007 Posts: 74, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2007, 11:58 AM
    Thanks for taking the time. Always good to get a fellow tax advisor 2nd opinion!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 23, 2007, 10:41 AM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rain shower head & handheld shower head problem [ 4 Answers ]

I have a shower with 2 pipes for showers heads (one on the wall in front, and one on a side wall). The wall in front has a rain shower head on it. The wall to the side has a hand held shower head attached. The pipe with the hand held shower attached has a push button valve to turn the handheld on...

Filing Head of Household, dependants? [ 1 Answers ]

What is the stipulation to file head of household, and I am full time student, with two daughters, the home is in jacks name and he makes the payments, I contribute no income. Can you claim the three of us?

Head of Household [ 1 Answers ]

Who can claim as "Head of Household".

Household cleaning [ 6 Answers ]

I'm looking for tips on cleaning certain parts of the house, firstly it would be the toilet now we live in an extreamly hard water area and keeping the loo clean is one hell of a task I use anti lime agents and you will often find me with my rubber gloves on scrubbing the heck outa the bowl. Same...

Head of the household status [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a house in Jan 2006 as primary residence. My brother also lives there, but he doesn't pay any rent or expenses (not even for food). I was wondering if I could claim 'head of the household' status based on him? I claimed it last year when we lived in apartment, but he didn't work for the...

View more questions Search