Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tmeyer01 Posts: 136, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2013, 07:43 PM
    Pipes in roughed in basement bathroom
    Can someoe please verify what all the pipes are? I know the toilet and I assume the one right behind it is a vent. I'm pretty sure on the sink drain and the shower drain but what is the pipe next to the shower drain? Does the shower have it's own vent? If so, is that really necessary? If not, what else would it be? Thanks,
    Attached Images

massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 17, 2013, 05:35 AM
    Hi Tmeyer

Yes, you have identified all the pipe correctly. The shower has its own vent and it would not be there if it was not a code requirement in your area... ;)

A full size (2") cleanout should be installed at the sink drain so that the cleanout can be accessed underneath the new vanity. Then you can pick up the sink drain and then reduce the vent to 1.5" (in most states).

The shower vent could also have a 2" cleanout installed on it, but if you do that you need to install an access cover plate so you can access it if needed. After the cleanout the shower vent can decrease to 1.5".

The toilet vent stays 2"....no cleanout needed here as the 3" stack has a 3" cleanout (needs to remain accessible). Then, basically, all vents come up into the ceiling and connect into the 2" toilet vent pipe and that 2" vent will go upstairs and connect into another 2" or larger vent or it can go up and out the roof by itself.

Do you plan on doing the work or are you hiring this out? Let ma know as there are very specific rules to properly venting an entire bathroom system, OK?

Mark

Feb 17, 2013, 08:32 PM
    I will be doing it myself. Just to clarify:
    1. I should put a 2" cleanout on the sink drain and then vent that out with at least 1 1/2"
    2. Don't really need a cleanout on the shower drain vent but vent it out at 2"
    3. Run the toilet vent out at 2"

I have one 2" vent pipe coming down from upstairs to connect to so I assume I can run all three llines into that correct?

I have attached a couple pictures as well.

Thanks,
    Attached Images

massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 18, 2013, 09:33 AM
    1) Yes

2)No, can reduce the shower vent to 1.5" as well

3) Yes, toilet vent runs up 2"

Connect the two 1.5" vents into the 2" toilet vent as it passes by the fixtures on its way to connect to that 2" "future vent" you showed us a picture of.

Be sure that all the vents pitch back away from the future vent (1/8" pitch per foot is enough) so that condensation or rain water can fall back toward the drain(s).

Make sure you "flip" your vent fittings so the direction of flow compliments the draining of condensation to the drains.

Hang the pipes every 4 feet.

Good luck!

Feb 18, 2013, 09:37 AM
    Thanks for the help.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 18, 2013, 05:14 PM
    Yep, do as Mark says, and you will be just fine. Looks like everything was roughed in correctly. Should make for easy work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pictures of 2 floor bathroom sewer pipes basement up [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2 bathroom they ran a vent off 3in pipe is that needed looking to replace coppper with pvc and move it 4 in into wall

Rough in basement bathroom pipes [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have three pipes coming out of my concrete basment floor. One of them is 4" diam. and the other two are 2" diam. Question is,. what are they? And will I be able to have a toilet, sink and shower??

Roughed in bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

My Roughed In Bathroom Floor Is Not Level So When The Toilet Was Installed It Was Not Level, The Shower Seems To Be Leaking From Underneathe What Can I Do

Roughed in bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

What is a "roughed in" bathroom. The listing for our house mentioned a roughed in bathroom on our bottom floor (3 story town house). In the "bathroom," there is a large round drain pipe sticking up from where I assume the toilet would go. The bathroom is only big enough for 1/2 bath (toilet/sink)....

View more questions Search