Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    UncloudedEyes Posts: 47, Reputation: 0

Feb 16, 2013, 10:47 AM
    How to put an animal down from home?
    We can't afford to take our rats to the vet to put them down when they die; are there any humane, quick ways to put them down? I want it to be completely painless for them, but I haven't any idea on how to, y'know, go about the business. Someone suggested that putting them in a bag in a warm place can put them to sleep, but I don't think that would work. Any ideas?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Feb 16, 2013, 10:49 AM
    Why do you need to put rats down?

And no, there is no painless way for you to do it from home.

Feb 16, 2013, 10:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    Why do you need to put rats down?

And no, there is no painless way for you to do it from home.
    Not now, just when they need to be. I've had a rat before and he died from respitorial disease, or something like that. He was in a lot of pain when he died, and it kind of freaked me out how much pain he seemed to be in. Isn't there something that can put it down quickly?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2013, 10:59 AM
    The bigger question is why you have animals you admit you can't afford - your rat died in agony and YOU freaked out?

You shouldn't have animals to begin with - you were "poking" at your rat through the bars of the cage with a glow stick?

Unthinkable.

How is the research into animal rights in Canada going?
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Feb 16, 2013, 11:04 AM
    You can always call your local shelter for help if it comes to that. I know the one where I live takes in all kinds of pets.
    You could also start saving the money now and put it in a savings account for your pets. Save your change, recycle your bottles for deposits, shovel snow and mow lawns for extra money, cut down on a few bills and use the money saved to set aside.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Feb 16, 2013, 11:22 AM
    I once had to put a rat down. My Weiser grew a golf ball sized tumor on her side and I finally had to decide... money or suffer... I spent the money. I took her to a vet and they put her down for me. It wasn't cheap, but they did give me a reduced rate because they felt bad for me that I was that concerned over a pet rat.

Save some money and do it that way if you need to.

And no more glow sticks.

Feb 16, 2013, 11:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    I once had to put a rat down. My Weiser grew a golf ball sized tumor on her side and I finally had to decide....money or suffer....I spent the money. I took her to a vet and they put her down for me. It wasn't cheap, but they did give me a reduced rate because they felt bad for me that I was that concerned over a pet rat.

Save some money and do it that way if you need to.

And no more glow sticks.
    Haha, thanks. And don't worry, glow sticks are no longer allowed in my house. :3
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2013, 11:33 AM
    Glow sticks aren't a problem. I have animals, and I have glow sticks.

Just don't poke animals with them. For that matter don't poke any animal with anything, particularly caged animals.

It's cruel.

Feb 16, 2013, 11:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mogrann View Post
    You can always call your local shelter for help if it comes to that. I know the one where I live takes in all kinds of pets.
    You could also start saving the money now and put it in a savings account for your pets. Save your change, recycle your bottles for deposits, shovel snow and mow lawns for extra money, cut down on a few bills and use the money saved to set aside.
    Thanks, that really helped. I didn't know animal shelters did that, and I'll take the advice. :3. Thanks a ton!

Feb 16, 2013, 11:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Glow sticks aren't a problem. I have animals, and I have glow sticks.

Just don't poke animals with them. For that matter don't poke any animal with anything, particularly caged animals.

It's cruel.
    I wasn't trying to be cruel :/ I didn't know they so easily broke. But I learned my lesson, I'm extremely careful now.
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2013, 12:27 PM
    It's less about the glow stick breaking and more about poking any caged animal with anything... that's the cruel part.
    The rat(s) had absolutely no way to escape from being "poked" by someone who, according to your other posts, "loves" them.

Feb 16, 2013, 01:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    It's less about the glow stick breaking and more about poking any caged animal with anything ... that's the cruel part.
    The rat(s) had absolutely no way to escape from being "poked" by someone who, according to your other posts, "loves" them.
    Oh, I wasn't poking THEM, lol. Their cage is next to my bad, I was fidgeting with the glow stick and I poked it through the bars to sniff it. My female came over and bit it, and so on. :p

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Window well drain smells like a dead animal what can I put in it [ 1 Answers ]

Window well drain pipe smells like a dead animal what can I put in the drain to get rid of smell

Accent Dining Room End Chairs With Animal Print Back. I saw them in Home Goods. [ 0 Answers ]

Would Love to Purchase Chairs with Animal Print back. When I went back to Home Goods they wer gone. I have called every Home Goods.

Can an animal rescue centre claim to own an animal after you purchase it? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a question about the rights of ownership over a cat.

Last Night, Some Sort of Small, Furry Animal, Gained Access to the Inside of My Home! [ 44 Answers ]

It wasn't a mouse and also wasn't flying. A bit of background... I own a really nice, old home. I've had many student recitals here as well as parties for friends and/or neighbors. Old homes need a lot of maintenance, though. Mine now needs a lot of maintenance! There are holes in my...

Put your birthday animal in the subject ! [ 5 Answers ]

Subject: I am an ape.

View more questions Search