Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    julienne Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2007, 05:55 PM
    Filing status H1 visa for 5 months
    Hi guys! I would like to ask if under what status will my husband file his tax. His information:

He was in US --B1/B2 visa ---January 21,2006-May 8,2006
    --H1b Visa ---- June 25, 2006- Nov 19, 2006 (147 days)
    -- J1 visa ----- Dec 28, 2006 up to present

He was in the Philippines in between dates. We got married last June 13, 2006 but didn't join him until this January 25, 2007 only under j2 visa.

Somebody told us that he should file as a dual status alien and we should file jointly. Is this correct? How come he is being considered as a resident alien? And are we filing jointly even though I wasn't in the US with him last year?

Hope you can enlighten us about this. We are really confused.

Thank you very much!

julienne
    taxsearcher Posts: 222, Reputation: 8

Mar 18, 2007, 09:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by julienne
    Hi guys! I would like to ask if under what status will my husband file his tax. His information:

He was in US --B1/B2 visa ---January 21,2006-May 8,2006
    --H1b Visa ---- June 25, 2006- Nov 19, 2006 (147 days)
    -- J1 visa ----- Dec 28, 2006 up to present

He was in the Philippines in between dates. We got married last June 13, 2006 but didn't join him til this Januray 25, 2007 only under j2 visa.

Somebody told us that he should file as a dual status alien and we should file jointly. is this correct? How come he is being considered as a resident alien? and are we filing jointly even though I wasn't in the US with him last year?

Hope you can enlighten us about this. We are really confused.

Thank you very much!

julienne

Are you a US citizen? Seems like you would be best to make the election and file jointly.

Mar 19, 2007, 09:32 AM
    Hi taxsearcher! We are not US citizens. My husband now is on J1 visa and I am on a J2 visa. Thank you!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 21, 2007, 11:41 AM
    INHO, you need to file as a non-resident alien, because you have NOT met the Substantial Presence Test in 2006 and you did not end the year as a resident alien.

Mar 23, 2007, 01:38 PM
    Hi AtlantaTaxExpert!

We consulted a private firm and they filed our tax as dual citizen status. The reason they gave us was because my husband was here last year as H1 and J1(last 4days of december). We weren't able to ask why they considered my husband as resident alien when he was on H1 visa. We assumed that it's because he passed the substantial presence test. He was here 147 days last year as H1 and more than 33 days of this year, so it's more than 183 days. Is my understanding correct? And also, they filed his tax as married filing separately. I applied for TIN already.

Are we on the correct process in filing our tax? Which is more beneficial, filing as non resident alien or as dual citizen status? Is it filing jointly or separately?

Thank you very much!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 27, 2007, 09:31 PM
    Julienne:

You can only count one-third of the previous year's days towards the Substantial Presence Test.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

L-1 Visa holder - filing status - Can all the deductions be claimed ? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am on L-1 Visa in US since Nov 27,2005 through Mar 03, 2006 and was back on Apr 15 2006. My Spose and child joined me in Apr 15,2006. I have filed taxes for 2005 as NR as I was here for a month only. For 2006 I believe I will be a resident alien having passed the substantial...

F1 Visa Status to H1B Visa Status [ 0 Answers ]

I am student doing my Masters. I intend starting my OPT from October 1, 2007. An employer has agreed to file H1B for me after April 1, 2008. I guess my H1B Visa will be approved some time in June/July 2008. I want to know when will my status be changed from F1 to H1B. Will it be effective from the...

H1B Visa; Wife on H4; Filing Status [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, I have been on H1B visa since July 2003. I am currently residing in New Jersey for the past 2 years. I got married in May and my wife accompanied me to US on 05/22/2006. She is on a H4 Visa and has been living with me since then. She does not have a SSN/ITIN/TIN. To file my taxes: ...

Filing status [ 1 Answers ]

It was a great help to have my other question answered. I do have another one, though. I was married to a US citizen in January of 2005. When filing my taxes for 2004, do I use my marital status for the year which I am filing (2004), or do I file as a married person? My wife has already filed her...

F1 to H1 visa filing status [ 5 Answers ]

I came to US in 2000 with F-1 status. I got my OPT in July 2003. In Feb 2004, I got my H-1 visa. In the past three years, I did not leave the US for vacation for more than a month. Should I file tax return as resident status or dual status? I get confused for my status as last year is my first year...

View more questions Search