Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2013, 03:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    Our nearby chinese takeaway made creative use of the local duck population ;)
    Till they got busted which was a shame..
    I used to love Peking Duck... until the last time I got it... thought it wasn't as good as usual... didn't get puking sick... but got mild nausea for the next week.

Heck wild game is usually more tasty than farm raised stuff... bland diet = bland meat.

Haven't had it since... mostly because I like the local Chinese restaurants even less than that one... never returned after that and never will.
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2013, 03:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    must have a big freezer, was that a drivein restraurant but I know what you mean, it is the standing joke around here about chinese restraurants that they keep the cat population down, I rarely eat chicken in a chinese restraurant
    This was a regular sit down or take out restaurant in an shopping center. Average size. Been a lot of years... this was back in the 1980's.

Heck... we used to go for the all you can eat buffets at lunchtime.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2013, 04:18 PM
    Yes I remember those places, I wonder what happened to them, went broke I expect, some things have disappeared like Pizza Hut restraurants,and Sizzlers, I think we can get two varieties of pizza now and who sits down in a pizza place
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2013, 05:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    Yes I remember those places, I wonder what happened to them, went broke I expect, some things have disappeared like Pizza Hut restraurants,and Sizzlers, I think we can get two varieties of pizza now and who sits down in a pizza place
    Most health Dept writeups close them down until the situation is corrected... sometimes only hours.. sometimes days or weeks.

This case they revoked their business license... they REALLY came down hard on them. Something I've rarely seen, or at least have heard about. Maybe permanent shutdowns happen more often than I know.

One week we had lunch there... two weeks later we went there and they were out of business. (yes there was a writeup in the newspaper and I seem to remember Board of health paperwork of some type taped on the doors.)

Lot of places get minor write-ups from time to time for small stuff. I have close friends that have a few restaurants.
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2013, 07:40 PM
    Yes we have seen a few locals go that way too, but I'm speaking of a general change, maybe it's the marketing, maybe they are rebadging themselves, or maybe the GFC did them in, I know we have a lot less pizza brands and those we do have are in trouble at corporate level. But cleanliness in food outlets is a big problem, but I have seen upmarket restraurants become curry houses seems to be a trend.

Back to what's on our plate I hope it isn't horse
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2013, 07:16 AM
    Are you missing Pizza Hut?
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2013, 02:02 PM
    Well I certainly eat less pizza, it was a good alternative to McDonalds when travelling, I miss the choice
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2013, 02:13 PM
    And here I thought all those American intrusions were evil.
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2013, 02:39 PM
    If they weren't here we would rely on something else with better nutritional value, but they are. What they do is push the local product out over time. I hear Cahill's I think it is called is intending to set up here, what we don't need is another chain selling oversized burgers, we already have enough of those
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2013, 03:00 PM
    Just Imagine.. if it wasn't for western food in Australia they might be eating these as snacks. Like the Aborigines do.

I think the Western food is a better option.
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2013, 04:20 AM
    They tell me that they have a nutty taste but there are some in other places who eat snails and frogs, Bush tucker enabled abo's to survive for a long time and if you look at them in their natural state they are lean and well conditioned, it is western food that has ruined them just as it has us. Interesting that their name for us is hairy grub, when you live on welfare I expect Bush tucker puts some extra on the table when the money has run out
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2013, 04:32 AM
    Not saying I wouldn't eat one... but I'd have to be very hungry. Why would I eat a slug when my favorite food comes from down under ?

There is no way they could substitute horse for that !
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2013, 04:51 AM
    This chef is Philly plans on introducing horse meat into his menu... good luck with that !
    Philadelphia chef plans to introduce HORSE MEAT to menu at popular Sicilian restaurant | Mail Online
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2013, 07:57 AM
    You haven't lived until you've had fried frog legs.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 23, 2013, 08:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    For sure...
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2013, 08:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    Those taste like chicken... and look like little drumsticks with plastic bones.
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2013, 08:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    This chef is Philly plans on introducing horse meat into his menu.... good luck with that !
    Philadelphia chef plans to introduce HORSE MEAT to menu at popular Sicilian restaurant | Mail Online
    If you get over Mr. Ed, Roy Rogers and Trigger... horse meat tastes just like beef only with more flavor. And its leaner.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 23, 2013, 11:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    If you get over Mr. Ed, Roy Rogers and Trigger......horse meat tastes just like beef only with more flavor. And its leaner.
    Yes it is leaner, and tastier, but its hard to convince people of this. I wonder if they did not have a choice, would they starve, or eat a horse?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 23, 2013, 11:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Those taste like chicken...and look like little drumsticks with plastic bones.
    Deep fried frog legs, yum !
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2013, 11:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Yes it is leaner, and tastier, but its hard to convince people of this. I wonder if they did not have a choice, would they starve, or eat a horse?
    I think if people ever tried it... they would like it. It's a familiar taste people who eat red meat love.

It not like deer meat that tastes somewhat like it but different enough some people might not have a taste for it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pond algea [ 7 Answers ]

My pond is crystal clear now, I can see all the way to the bottom, but I still have algea clinging to the plant stems and pots, bricks, sides, etc... Is this what should be expected in a back yard liner pond? (12 years old) I'm thinking I need to keep sweeping stuff around so it gets...

Does a biological media fish pond filter(without mechanical media)keep a pond clean? [ 1 Answers ]

Does a biological media fish pond filter (without any mechanical media) really keep a fish pond clean? I know that they keep the water healthy but I am having trouble believing that it will filter out small enough particles to keep it really clean. I have one in mind to buy that has a built in...

More bad climate change news [ 1 Answers ]

Dead trees spewing greenhouse gases Darn that Bush. Better get out there and plant those trees, or is that bad for wildfires? How does something "slowly" spew anyway? That ain't all the bad news...

Good news or bad news are these doctors of their rocker? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello everyone, well I went to the doctor today concerning my miscarriage last week. Some of you may have read my post about having discharge and why the bleeding stopped (after only 3-4 days), well it turns out I am one of those women who can pass everything in 4 days. I have had an ultrasound...

View more questions Search