Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arpit86 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2013, 06:12 PM
    Tax benefit for F2 spouse.
    Hi,
    I am a student on F1 Visa and got married last year (2012) November in India. My wife got her F2 Visa in December but she came to US with me on January this year (2013). I know I can claim a standard deduction and personal exemption for myself and another exemption for my wife but nothing more. Also, I can file only as "Single". Is there any other benefit I am missing? Please let me know. Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 13, 2013, 06:49 PM
    I believe I just answered your email, but I will share the same information for public consumption.

You will file Form 1040NR as a MARRIED non-resident alien, which allows you to claim your wife as a dependent.

You will need to apply for an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) for your wife by submitting Form W-7, and that process has undergone some radical procedural changes this past year. Instead of the simple notarization process, the IRS now requires that your home country certify the photocopy of your passport as a true copy. This is due to rampant fraud in the ITIN submission process. The notaries simply cannot tell the difference between a fake passport and the genuine passport.

This certification can be done by the Indian (I assume you are from India) embassy in Washington, D.C. or at one of the consulates in San Francisco, Chicago, Houston or New York. Assuming you do NOT want to drive there, you need to call the nearest consulate and arrange to have this process done via the mail. This process, done via mail, can take up to three months to complete. My clients to date have had the best results by mail with the San Francisco consulate, getting the certified passport photocopies in less than 3 weeks.

Also, the IRS recently announced the opening of Tax Assistance Centers through which you may be able to have the passport verified as genuine, then submit the tax return and Form W-7 IN PERSON to be forwarded to the ITIN Processing Center in Austin, Texas for processing , without having to get the photocopies certified by your home country consulate. The list of the TACs are at the link below:

Taxpayer Assistance Center Locations Where In-Person Document Verification is Provided

The alternative is to mail in the actual passports themselves, something most of my clients are reluctant to do.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 14, 2013, 12:52 AM
    On F-1 you are nonresident for 5 years; you do not pay social security tax and must file nonresident tax return. You will get exemption deduction for your spouse.

Feb 14, 2013, 11:40 AM
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Does the fact that my wife entered US in 2013 make me ineligible to claim any exemptions for her on my 2012 tax return?

Also, Do I need to file 8843 for my wife because of the same reason?

Can I claim standard deduction only for myself and not my wife?

These are pretty much all the questions I have. I would really appreciate if you could answer. Thanks
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 14, 2013, 06:31 PM
    No; you can claim your wife even if she in India.

No; Form 8843 filing is just for you as the F-1 visa holder.

Standard deduction ONLY for yourself.

Feb 15, 2013, 10:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    No; you can claim your wife even if she in India.

No; Form 8843 filing is just for you as the F-1 visa holder.

Standard deduction ONLY for yourself.
    Thanks AtlantaTaxExpert for answering my questions.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 15, 2013, 12:41 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxable Benefit on Employees Spouse [ 2 Answers ]

Employee and spouse attend an off site Company meeting. Can the cost of the spouses meals be a taxable benefit to the employee?

How to get tax benefit of H4 dependent (Spouse)? [ 1 Answers ]

I came to US on Oct-2011 on H1 and my wife on H4 visa. As per guidelines I qualify for non resident alien but on that status I can't file my tax jointly and also can't take dependent benefit for my wife. Is there any work around ? Or what is the best way to proceed ? By anyway I can file jointly...

Is there any tax benefit for F1 student on OPT living with F2 spouse [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I am non-resident alien from india on F1 visa working on OPT. My wife is on F2 visa. Can I claim her to be dependent on my tax return or what exactly I need to do to get more tax benefits. Can I put head of household so that less taxes are taken out from paycheck. *** guide.

Fringe benefit tax [ 4 Answers ]

I Want to Know What is Freenze Benefit Tax. When and What rate it is payable in case of Company or Firm.

View more questions Search