Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PamInMass Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2007, 03:56 PM
    (Massachusetts) What does a notorized letter need for court?
    I have several witnesses willing to write statements on my behalf regarding a verbal agreement between myself and a casual friend. However, We have no idea what the statements need to contain insofar as correct writing, wording, phrasing, etc. to get them notarized and use them in court for my defense. Are the statements better if they are as brief as possible or do details need to be included? Do the witnesses have to write : "Signed under the pains and penalties of perjury"(or something like that) when ending the statement?
    Any help with format will be appreciated. Thank you Pam
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2007, 05:57 PM
    Hello Pam:

Nahhh, notarized statements aren't any good in court. In our system of law, a party to a lawsuit has the right to cross examine the witnesses against him. You can't cross examine a notarized statement. That's why they won't be accepted. You need the witnesses to actually show up in court to testify.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 18, 2007, 06:36 PM
    Yes you will need to have the witness appear in court, they can not just write letters for you.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 18, 2007, 06:46 PM
    As a legal secretary, years ago I might add, the notarized statement does not carry any weight, as mentioned above. Unless the folks who are writing the statement will agree to appear in court on your behalf.

It is also a matter of what the case in question is about. If this is a criminal case, and they are your character witnesses, these statements are a waste of time. But if it is a small claims, that may be different depending on your jurisdiction.

To help you, you need to make sure that these witnesses will agree to be subpoenaed to court and that WILL need to be in the notarized statement.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Received court summons in my door and have 2 weeks to court date [ 9 Answers ]

I received a summons on my door for a $5,000 debt to american express. Lawyer office is about 1 1/2 from my home... I am willing to pay the debt, do I have to show up for court? I am going to be out of town and won't be around on the court date... can I call the attorney's office and settle the...

Massachusetts adoption [ 5 Answers ]

My son was born in mqassachusets, and I just married in Texas. My husband wants to adopt my son, my son's father is not on his birth cirtificate, so how so how do I go about this?

Divorce and assets in Massachusetts [ 5 Answers ]

I know someone in Massachusetts who will be filing for divorce at any time. I wish to give this person a gift of some stock, but I want it to be solely their possession come the divorce. If I give them a stock certificate in their name only, could it be divided up with the rest of the assets come...

Superior Court and Supreme Court [ 4 Answers ]

Is a "Superior court" the same thing as the "Supreme Court"?

Anyone in Chelsea, Massachusetts willing to do some research? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi - I've been seeking information on my great grandfather, who was married April 26, 1870 in Palermo, Maine, but was rumored to have been a native of Chelsea, Massachusetts. In the town where I live, the town office kept information in the town records on marriages such as who the parents of...

View more questions Search