Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jakester Posts: 582, Reputation: 165

Feb 13, 2013, 09:54 AM
    Query to get unique counts
    Hi Scott - hoping I can explain my problem well enough to get a perspective from you on how to solve this.

Ok, I have a roster of people where each person may work on a specific task during a given period (a month, or a quarter, etc.) and each person is assigned to a team. To illustrate my problem, let me give you some examples.

Team Jones has 30 people on it. There are 5 tasks that a person on that team may or may not work on during Q1 of 2013. Here are those tasks:

1. Business Analysis
    2. Project Planning
    3. Testing
    4. Test Planning and Preparation
    5. Quality Inspection

Now, what I want to do is to find the unique instances for each task where 1 or all of the 30 people worked on that task for the quarter. To further illustrate, say for Business Analysis that Mary Smith did Business Analysis in January, February, and March. She performed that task 3 times (1x in each month) but I am only concerned about knowing that she did perform Business Analysis during the quarter (so I’d like to show a 1 instead of 3).

Ideally, if everyone on Team Jones did Business Analysis during the quarter at least one time, I am only concerned about the one instance where they did and the first occurrence of it, not the other occurrences. So if everyone did do Business Analysis for the quarter, my total count should not exceed the count of members on the team (in this case, the 30 people). So the distribution could look like this (I’m just making this up but this is what I’d like to see):

Task Team Jan Feb Mar Total
    Business Analysis Jones 7 15 8 30

My fields in the table are:
    1. Task
    2. User
    3. Date
    4. Team (there are 5 different teams)

Is this doable in a query?

Thanks.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 15, 2013, 04:09 AM
    Just do a Group By query. I think if you group by Task then by person, you will have a unique list of the tasks performed by whom during the period. If you add a calculated field just showing a 1, you will have a count of the people performing each task by adding another query, again grouping by task, (eliminating the people) but summing the calculated count field.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Blood counts [ 2 Answers ]

I just had some blood work done and my dr. says my wbc is low 3.1 what does that mean

Load Counts [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Guys Can some one please tell me how to calculate load counts on a blueprint. I have no idea where to start. Darren:confused:

5 counts of fraud [ 1 Answers ]

I was pregnet and on drugs and had cashed some checks. There was one govnment check for 3200. I got off the drugs and had my child, I also left canada. I want to go home but a dective told me there was 5 counts of fraud waiting for me. Will I loose my child and go to jail? The checks all amounted...

8 counts [ 2 Answers ]

HOW MANY 8 COUNTS SHOULD I DO FOR MY HIGH SCHOOL CHEERLEADING TRYOUTS? when I tried out for my JR high I only did one 8 count and I made the team.:confused:

DNS Query Query. A Query about DNS Queries... [ 12 Answers ]

I am a software developer, I don’t know much about networks. I have a working network but with one weird (well to me it’s weird) problem. If you can offer any insight I’ll be very grateful! <!--- Image Attachment Below (I couldn't find a way to paste it here in the editor :-( ) ---> ...

View more questions Search