Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tahir_iit Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2007, 02:57 PM
    Tax forms & status - F-1 > OPT > H1B in 2006
    Hello All

I would be glad if someone can help me out with the respective forms required and the kind of deductions I can take:

1. I was on F-1 from Jan-Aug 2006
    2. OPT in Sep 2006
    3. H-1B from Oct-Dec 2006

I was in NY from Jan-Aug 2006 and in AZ from Sep-Dec 2006. I am an Indian Citizen & had entered the US in Aug 2004 on F1. Could someone please suggest the status under which I can file and the corresponding forms? Also am I eligible for standard deductions? Hope Atlanta Expert can shed some light, I've read some very good n detailed answers from him for other questions
    frjohn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2007, 03:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tahir_iit
    Hello All

I would be glad if someone can help me out with the respective forms required and the kind of deductions I can take:

1. I was on F-1 from Jan-Aug 2006
    2. OPT in Sep 2006
    3. H-1B from Oct-Dec 2006

I was in NY from Jan-Aug 2006 and in AZ from Sep-Dec 2006. I am an Indian Citizen & had entered the US in Aug 2004 on F1. Could someone please suggest the status under which I can file and the corresponding forms? Also am i eligible for standard deductions? Hope Atlanta Expert can shed some light, I've read some very good n detailed answers from him for other questions
    This is not a complete answer, but you should check out the program CINTAX which is designed for non-resident students. Your school might have the program for free.
    You are not eligible for the standard deduction, but Indian citizens have a special exemption due to a tax treaty that may be applied to your return.
    You will need to file a 1040NR. Intuit's tax programs may have a computer version for NRs.
    avataress Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2007, 04:05 PM
    The IRS can suggest what forms you need and what status you are, free of charge. Call (800) 829-1040. I'm sure you won't be disappointed with their services. You don't even have to give your name to get the answers to your questions. I accept thank you payments. Please e-mail me and let me know how this worked out for you, because I'd like to know if others find the IRS' services as good as I do. Good luck!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 21, 2007, 10:57 AM
    Actually, under Article 21(1) of the U.S.-India Tax Treaty, Indian citziens under F-1 or J-1 visas ARE entitled to claim the $5,150 standard deduction.

Tahir:

You need to file as a non-resident alien, probably filing Form 1040NR-EZ, plus TWO state tax returns (NY and AZ).

For 2007, you will file as a resident alien.
    usazet Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2008, 05:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by avataress
    The IRS can suggest what forms you need and what status you are, free of charge. Call (800) 829-1040. I'm sure you won't be disappointed with their services. You don't even have to give your name to get the answers to your questions. I accept thank you payments. Please e-mail me and let me know how this worked out for you, because I'd like to know if others find the IRS' services as good as I do. Good luck!
    I called that number and I must say that it was very helpful! I got transferred around a couple of times but at the end the person I spoke with was very nice and helpful. Even the ones I talked to before were very nice. I got the answer for my question and much more information. I had no idea such help line existed. Thank you so much!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 18, 2008, 12:50 PM
    You probably got transferred to the International Tax Help Line. Unlike the normal tax help line, the IRS personnel who man the International Line are thoroughly trained to help those who call.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing tax return (Changed status from F1-OPT to H1B) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I was a F1 student from Jan 2001 to Dec 2005. I am an Indian citizen and single I did my OPT in Texas Tech Univ. from Dec 18 2005 to Dec 17 2006. I got my H1B on Dec 18 2006 from TTU. I have Fedral income tax, social security tax and medicare tax charged during 2006. Which of the forms...

F1, opt and h1 status in 2006 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am an indian resident and I have had 3 status in the year 2006. 1. I was under f1 - student status from jan 1 - feb 18. I was working in my school in chicago as a student emploee. Will I get a refund of medicare and ss tax? 2. I was under opt status from feb 19 - oct 31. 2 (a) I...

OPT to F1 to H1B- 2006 tax filing [ 1 Answers ]

I am an Indian Citizen, currently on H1B visa that was approved on Oct 28, 2006. I read through different answers regardng filling of tax for non resident or resident alien for 2006, and dual status, but some things confused me. So I would appreciate if you can advise. For years 2002, 2003,...

Married in dec 2006, both opt->h1 from oct 2006, tax category? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, Me and my wife were both on F1->OPT till sep 2006. Both of us started our H1B From Oct 1,2006. We got married in Dec 2006. Now according to SPT both of us are non residents for tax purposes as days spent on F1->OPT are not counted towards SPT. But if we file jointly(which we should since we...

OPT to H1 in June05, Dual status for SST& Med Tax [ 3 Answers ]

I came to states ( F-1) on Aug, 2002, I began to work on my OPT (optional practical training )from Jan to June 2005, then from June 20, 2005 I converted F-1 to H1-B visa and started working on H1-B for the same employer. However, my employer has deducted my Social Security taxes & Medicare...

View more questions Search