Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oldcoach Posts: 103, Reputation: 3

Jan 23, 2005, 06:31 PM
    Information Please :-)
    I am a long-time pool player, but I have just recently become serious about the sport. In the past two years I have come a long way. I am a 5 ranked player under the APA. Are their any really good videos or books that explain the more difficult shots like masse` and jumping the legal way?
    neavesv Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2006, 02:43 PM
    Can you help me
    I have only played pool for about 7mths. I joined balsa pool tournments. My teams has 6 players me being the only girl. I had to brag but I think I am a little better then the guys who have played for years. Not just because I have won more games then them but the way I play. The sad thing is one of the guys is my future husband, who thinks I play okay, my question is do you know of any classes in or out of college that I can take to better myself and sow just how good I am, I'm in san antonio, Texas.:confused:
    Delow84 Posts: 309, Reputation: 45

Jan 23, 2008, 10:09 PM
    This is a pretty old thread but in sa, I have found that playing in tournaments and/or watching other people play is the best way to learn. There aren't any classes in SA that I know of that teach billiards.

Best way to get better is to find someone who is very good, or better then you, and play them a lot. I usually go on Monday nights (free pool) at fast eddies (great players go there) and weds at slick willies and play my friends and whoever in the pool hall that wants to play for money lol
    nineballer33 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2009, 04:49 PM

In terms of books and videos I have found these to be the most helpful:

Video-
    Bob Byrne Instructional Series- although slightly dated (made in the 80s) these videos have the down and dirty drills, tips and tricks it takes to really get going.

Book-
    The Advanced Pro Book: Strategies and Training Techniques for the Serious Player by Bob Henning.
    9baller Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2013, 05:36 AM
    There are tons of books and videos out there. First, find a good professional coach and PAY for some lessons. It will save you countless hours of meaningless practice. Then get a book by Robert Byrnes titled "Standard Book of Pool and Billiards." It will support what your coach teaches you and gives detailed drills and explanations. Have it with you when you practice to refer to. Many players feel self conscious about having a book on the table at the pool room. Get over it. You have to be sure you are doing the drills & basics (aiming, stance, bridge, stroke) as the book says. Most often, when a drill isn't working like the book says, it's because you have forgotten some part of the instruction like cue ball speed, or English, etc. With the book right there, you can double check to be sure you are doing it correctly. You must practice by yourself doing drills and again pay particular attention to the basics. Just playing pool with your buddy isn't practice... Last but not least, You Tube has many professional matches available to view. Watch as many as you can and pay attention to the commentary. Buy some videos of your favorite players from Accu-Statts. You will learn a lot.
    9baller Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2013, 05:39 AM
    [QUOTE=9baller;3578407]There are tons of books and videos out there. First, find a good professional coach and PAY for some lessons. It will save you countless hours of meaningless practice. Then get a book by Robert Byrnes titled "Standard Book of Pool and Billiards." It will support what your coach teaches you and gives detailed drills and explanations. Have it with you when you practice to refer to. Many players feel self conscious about having a book on the table at the pool room. Get over it. You have to be sure you are doing the drills & basics (aiming, stance, bridge, stroke) as the book says. Most often, when a drill isn't working like the book says, it's because you have forgotten some part of the instruction like cue ball speed, or English, etc. With the book right there, you can double check to be sure you are doing it correctly. You must practice by yourself doing drills and again pay particular attention to the basics. Just playing pool with your buddy isn't practice... Last but not least, You Tube has many professional matches available to view. Watch as many as you can and pay attention to the commentary. Buy some videos of your favorite players from Accu-Stats. You will learn a lot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Useful Information [ 38 Answers ]

I'm bored... this might not sound very fluent because I'm pretty much just typing what comes off my head. Feel free to add things and I'll edit it and we can make it into something big that everyone can read, because it seems like everyone has the relative same problems. I used to be there, not...

Information [ 3 Answers ]

How many countries are there in world? How many muslim countries? How many hindu countris? Tell me about every relegion countries

I need information please [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I'm eighteen years old and I'm a CCD teacher, meaning I teach religion to second graders. This week we need to talk about them about x-mas and its meaning. So I would like to ask anyone if they know that history of the candy cane? Or what about what is advent? And what's the real meaning...

Some information [ 2 Answers ]

Don't exactly know if if is related to psychic abilites but can anyone often any info on psychokinesis can't seem to find much on the subject.

View more questions Search