Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    julienep Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2007, 11:57 AM
    Student loans
    My husband has a student loan that has been in collection for a few years. He is VERY irresponsible with money, and has not made much headway in paying it off. Does anyone know if a student loan can be cancelled after a certain amount of years, or would he have to file for bankruptcy to get rid of it? This loan is from Quebec, but we now live in Ontario. Our house is in both of our names, and I don't want this to affect me. Also, if his credit is really messed up, will this affect us when it is time to renegotiate our mortgage?
    AHAWK Posts: 10, Reputation: 0

Mar 18, 2007, 12:41 PM
    In America student loans are not like other loans. If they are federal loans they will garnish your wages to collect their money. They will also take any federal income tax return money to collect their loss. As for refinancing your home I'm sorry to say that you may come out better leaving his name off. If your are looking to refinance immediately you will have to leave his name off in hopes of getting a competetive rate. He can fix his credit in a few years. Talk to a credit counselor. Not one of those companies that claim to be able to clear your credit in no time for ninety nine USD. Hope this was helpful. Please rate my answer if it helped you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Interest from student loans [ 5 Answers ]

Can a qualified student loan interest paid be deducted even if taxpayer does not itemize deductions?:)

Cosigner on student loans [ 1 Answers ]

I am the cosigner on my daughters student loans. She has not finished college and does not have a job. How can I get my name removed from her loans?

Getting student loans [ 2 Answers ]

I would be glad if someone can guide me through places/ organisations/ banks that offer student loans to international students without having the need to get it co-signed by a US citizen or greencardholder.

Qualified student loans [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am filling the resident 1040 form and I see a line for student loan interest deduction. Does credit card loans count? I took out some credit card loans while I was on F-1 visa but I paid a lot of interest on those loans last year. Can I take this deduction? Thanks in advance

Student loans [ 3 Answers ]

Is there a way to file bankruptcy on student loans?

View more questions Search