Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cdheffron Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2013, 04:49 PM
    The light on my ceiling fan stopped working, could it be the wiring harness?
    I turned the light on my ceiling fan on and the bulb blew. I replaced both bulbs but no light. I have since replace the switch and the sockets. None of the wires look blackened. The ceiling fan, all three speeds and the reverse switch still work correctly. I don't know what else to try, can you help?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 9, 2013, 09:35 PM
    Are you comfortable using a voltage tester? Open the canopy if you are OK with electrical issues and test the feeds. White and black go to the fan motor and you should see 120 vac when it is on. White and blue feed the light and should also read 120 vac when on. Let us know what you find and also if you are usinung a remote

Feb 11, 2013, 07:14 PM
    The wires coming down through the canopy all feed into a square multiple wire connector. I don't have a voltage testor but do have circuit testor. I tested the wires in the canopy side of the connector for the light fixture and they lit up the circuit testor. When I connected the harness and tested the two wires coming out of the harness for the light fixture, I got nothing. The positive wire (black with a white stripe) comes out of the harness and into a wire nut that connects it to a much smaller white wire. That wire goes into a flat plastic tab marked Y59 B 120C B04 26000. Then a wire comes out of that and is connected to the light kit black wire. I have no idea what the "tab" is, could the problem be there? No we don't use a remote for the fixture.

Feb 11, 2013, 07:39 PM
    "No we don't use a remote for the fixture" how do you control the fan; pull chains or wall switch

Feb 12, 2013, 03:42 PM
    We control the light with the wall switch and the fan with the chain.
    willismichael Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2013, 06:52 AM
    The same thing happened to me - I traced the break in the circuit to a small component like the one that you describe, mine is labelled "Y59 B 120C B04 27541". I haven't been able to find out what this component is, otherwise I would try to replace it. Does anybody know?
    sidneyvanness Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2013, 10:37 AM
    I just had an electrician over. He traced it to that as well. Cut that part out--just bypassed it. Everything works again.

May 10, 2013, 04:10 PM
    Glad it works but cutting out a component on a fan is not a very good idea, likely a capacitor. It was there for a reason and should have been replaced rather than removed. https://www.google.com/search?q=fan+...w=1675&bih=824 Did it look like any of these? https://www.google.com/search?q=fan+...w=1675&bih=824
    willismichael Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2013, 01:00 PM
    It's not a capacitor. It's a wattage limiter, a rather useless component with the express purpose of making it legal for the manufacturer to market the unit as "energy saving". If you install compact flourescents or LED lamps, it does absolutely nothing to save energy as neither of those use enough watts to engage the limiter. After researching it and finding that several people have had the same problem with the same ceiling fan that I have, I removed that limiter, re-attached the wires together with a wire nut, and like magic the lights work now.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2022, 12:50 PM
    Very useful post. Had the same problem and solved it the same way. Cut out the wattage limiter and put in two LED bulbs which use a combined 11 watts. Thanks to everyone, albeit 11 years later.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay ceiling fan light fixture stopped working but fan still works why? [ 14 Answers ]

New light put in my Hampton Bay ceiling fan, but then after a few days, no light bulbs work but fan runs fine, why is this happening?:confused:

My ceiling old fan & light stopped working. Is this a danger? [ 1 Answers ]

It is about 15 years old and was never wired into a wall switch. It operated only by a pull chain. There is no remote control. All other outlets and switches in the room work fine. I have pulled the chain three times - to make it off. But I am concerned that perhaps there could be lose or broken...

Fan and light in Hunter ceiling fan stopped working [ 7 Answers ]

I have a Hunter ceiling fan with four lights. Then without anything unusual happening the fan and lights simultaneously stopped working. I operate the unit using a wall switch. When I turn the switch to "on" I can hear the unit beep so I know that power is going to it, but when I press the fan or...

Ceiling fan/light stopped working [ 1 Answers ]

I have had a Hampton Bay ceiling fan/light dimmer with a remote control. The other day it just stopped working. It doesn't work with the remote control, wall switch or the pull chains. I changed the batteries in the remote and I know there is power to the fan. Any idea how to fix this?

Heritage ceiling fan light stopped working [ 3 Answers ]

I took down the fan to fix a wobble (was coming loose from ceiling) and now the light dies not work. The fan blades run but the light does not work. I replaced the pull chain switch and have checked the wire connections twice put still no light. Any other ideas would be appreciated as I cannot...

View more questions Search