Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fromfargo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2013, 12:54 PM
    Should a go to the ER for what may be an absessed tooth?
    I believe I have an infection either in my jaw or a tooth. I went to a walk-in clinic a few days ago to have it checked out (I do not have dental insurance). They said they couldn't tell what was causing my pain. I have been on an antibiotic for three days now and the pain has not subsided. I have been icing the area and rotation four Advil and two Tylenol every 4-6 hours. The pain is severe and the lower part of my jaw into my neck to swollen. I am also having pain when I swallow. It is the weekend and my only opion for 3 days is to go to the ER. Should I?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 9, 2013, 01:14 PM
    A severely abscessed tooth can cause what you describe, in fact left untreated, the infection from a tooth like that can cause heart attacks, just give you an example of what you can expect if left untreated. Yes, there is obviously a large infection building up in your jaw line, that is why the swelling and pain.

That tooth needs to come out and strong antibiotics taken to alay the infection before it gets further into your system.

Either to your dentist, who will x ray to find out just how far the infection has done, or the ER; I would be more likely to choose your dentist if you feel you can get an appt. immediately.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tooth ache in rootcanal tooth? [ 8 Answers ]

In the last 2 days I have this dull pain in my tooth (really high up, in the gums). It only hurts when I walk or bend down. It is not painful when I drink or eat. I had a root canal on this tooth in 2005 and it has a permanent crown on it. I did have a cold a few weeks ago and was wondering if it...

Dull tooth pain with biting down or when tap side of tooth with fingernail [ 3 Answers ]

PLEASE HELP! I'm trying to get pregnant and want my teeth better soon. Tooth #19 (bottom left molar) had a root canal about 8 months ago. I had a permanent filling in it until recently when my insurance would cover a crown. (tooth had no cracks and had a narrow root canals so OK to wait) I had no...

I have an absessed tooth [ 1 Answers ]

I have an absess on my bottom right hand jaw.. I am wondering if antibiotics will work ? And I have been told that the swelling will not go away until you have the tooth removed is this true? Also I have been taking anti inflamitries and pain killers but the pain will not ease why is this ? Thanks

Pull adult tooth down just lost baby tooth [ 3 Answers ]

I'm 40 and just had one of my last 2 baby teeth fall out. They are both the 2nd from the middle 2 teeth. Six months ago the dentist shared they he would need to pull it out and then pull down the other tooth. He estimated that being about $8k. Is that true? I have another baby tooth on the...

No money to get tooth pulled and a false tooth then needed [ 2 Answers ]

I have a tooth that needs to be pulled and I will need a false tooth. I do not have dental insurance. The tooth will cost about 300.00. Is there dental insurance that I can get that will pay for this procedure now or will I have to wait until I have had the insurance for a while?

View more questions Search