Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    llnimh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2007, 11:35 AM
    Dual Status confusion
    Please help!

I am an Indian currently on H1 B with status change from F1(OPT) to H1 in FEB 2006.

My employer has sent me two W2 for FY 2006. One being on F1(01/01/2006 to 01/31/2006) and the other W2 for being on H1B(02/02/2006 to 12/31/2006)

I understand that I need to file 1040 as return and attach 1040NR as Dual Status Statement. How do I go about the excempts ?

The 1040 Instructions say that,
    "You cannot take the standard deduction even for the part of the year you were a resident alien"

Please shed some light on this.

Thanks,
    Nimi
    avataress Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2007, 03:10 PM
    I just wrote a small (humorous, but truthful) booklet (20pp.) called "Customer Service and Dis-Service in America: How may we help you and/or Up yours Ms./Mr. Customer." In it I praise the IRS to the skies because they are so competent, knowledgeable, and polite in their dealings with people who call their toll-free number for help (800) 829-1040). Try it, I'm sure you won't be disappointed!

Don't let anyone fool you. As long as you are trying to do the right thing, the IRS will help you to do so. I can testify that in all my taxpaying years, and I started working when I was 14 years of age, I have never once had a problem with an IRS representative being rude to me, not knowing how to help me, nor any other negative experience with them, even when I owed THEM money and needed to make an extended payment plan! I have had occasion to commend these workers to their superiors many times! I hope this continues :D! If you have a tax question, any question at all that is not about tax evasion or avoidance, call the IRS at the number I gave you above. They will be more than happy to help you and for free. If the person you speak with doesn't know the answer to your question s/he will get you immediately to someone who does.

Finally, the best thing I like about the IRS is that their agents usually give BOTH their first and last names, and ALWAYS give an ID number, which they will be glad to repeat if you are unable to catch it the first time. This way, if you happen to have a problem with an IRS agent, you can identify to his/her supervisor who s/he was. If this does not turn out that way for you, I would be surprised. If it does, I accept thank you payments, and e-mails; I'd be happy to hear about your experiences in this. Good luck!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 21, 2007, 11:15 AM

I agree that the IRS representatives are universally courteous and professional. However, their advice, at times, is less than accurate, especially for international tax issues.

However, the IRS has a separate International Tax Hotline at 215-516-2000 that is available up to 11 P.M. EST. The representatives on THIS hotline are specifically trained in inernational tax issues.

Nimi:

If you file as a dual-status alien, you CANNOT claim the standard deduction UNLESS you are an Indian citizen, in which case you CAN claim the standard deduction IF you made at least $5,150 while on F-1 status.
    abhijitgp Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2007, 11:47 AM
    What happens if in this dual-status year, you make no money during your OPT and are salaried on H-1B ? As an Indian, do you take std. deduction on form 1040... or are you allowed to take that deduction only on 1040NR ?

Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 23, 2007, 10:40 AM
    That is not clear. I suspect you can STILL take the standard deduction, but I am not sure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Harbor Breeze Dual Dimmer Switch Confusion [ 1 Answers ]

I have an HB fan ready to go -- installed, wired and ready to snap into place. The issue is on the switch. I also replaced a single on/off switch with a dual dimmer from HB (can't go wrong with the same brand, right). I have to admit, this one has me stumped. Here's the set-up: 1. I have a...

OPT to H1 status (dual-status?) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, This question has been asked a few times already, but I want to confirm. I have been in the US on F-1 since 2003. I was working on OPT from June 2005 to Feb 2006, and on H-1 from Mar 2006 onwards. Should I file as a resident or dual-status? Based on the previous answers, it seems like I...

Dual Status Return & Dual Status Statement [ 3 Answers ]

Hi ATE: Just curious, which amount will be refunded to us if we file 1040 as Dual Status Statement & 1040NR as Dual Status Return? Or the total of both? Best, Jesslyn

A dual status? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi guys, I know there are lots of message about dual status on this site. However, I'm still confused by if I'm dual status. Could someone help me according to my situation? 6/2000 entered the States Sep 2004 to July 4, 2005 on OPT July 5,2005 on H1B status Re-entered the States on Oct 2005...

Dual Status [ 1 Answers ]

I am on a H1-B with my present company valid from 20th October 2005. Before that I was working on OPT (F-1 visa) from June 30th 2005-19th Oct 2005. I am an Indian citizen. Which form do I use for filing my taxes?

View more questions Search