Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pauline Hershey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2013, 07:25 AM
    This is a weight bearing question - moving a heavy piece of machinery
    Good morning. I am moving from concrete slab floor to wooden construction with basement, below. Concern that floor will bear the weight of a heavy piece of machinery. Machinery weighs 4100 lbs. Pressure is born over 2sq feet. How do I safety distribute the weight, so that I don't crash the equipment through the floor?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 10, 2013, 02:40 AM
    First don't you have to find out if the floor and substructure are safe enough to hold a piece like that? What kind of machinery, that heavy, would you want in your house? Couldn't the moving company determine this for you, of course for an extra charge?

Curious, what is it ?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 10, 2013, 05:11 AM
    Do you really mean 2 sq'? Or a 2' x 2' machine, 4 sq'?
    Typical residential construction load is 40 psf, 300 lbs concentrated load.
    A lot depends on the integrity of the joists/beams/posts you have, the joist span, and movement of the machine such as vibration or shock.
    You could sister 3 joists and then build a 32" x 32" brace across them, and put a lally column or 2 under it.
    You should also have a slab of wood 32" x 32" or more under the machine to distribute some load from above.
    Some of the load goes all along the joists and down outside walls, and some goes straight down the column to the concrete. Even the concrete can give if enough weight is concentrated on it, so sometimes a footing has to be put under the typical slab. But you would have plenty of warning of the concrete starting to break up.
    But I think you'd be OK with 3 sisters, a wooden slab and a brace, and 2 lally columns. Provided the house is in good shape.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I sent a piece of machinery back to the lack of work. [ 5 Answers ]

I sent a piece of machinery back to the lack of work. They show it being voluntarily released. But, there is nothing showing it was corporate debt and the amount showing owed is more than the amount requested by the collection co. The collection co. will not send me anything in writing to show what...

Moving weight bearing walls in the attic [ 4 Answers ]

Building a bedroom in attic, need to move studs back but afraid of roof falling in.

Moving load bearing post in basement [ 2 Answers ]

We are wanting to remodel the basement and have 3 posts running the width of the basement. Is it possible to move the middle post 2.5 to 3 foot over so the room does not have to have this one beam in it, it would be on the other side of the newly built wall. If it is possible, is this something...

Moving load bearing post in basement [ 1 Answers ]

We are wanting to remodel the basement and have 3 posts running the width of the basement. Is it possible to move the middle post 2.5 to 3 foot over so the room does not have to have this one beam in it, it would be on the other side of the newly built wall. If it's possible, is this something...

80s movie about a piece of machinery under water [ 1 Answers ]

All I can remember of this movie is this kid is either at a lake or a pond and what he thinks is a monster turns out to be an old construction digger that was raising in and out of the water due to air bubbles,but he builds this contraption to go under water to find out what it is. I would...

View more questions Search