Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Thisismiller3 Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Feb 7, 2013, 04:01 PM
    How do I get my name off the internet?
    I was arrested years ago and my mugshot and charges along with other information are on several websites now I have come to find out. This is information that is embarrassing and possibly damaging I do not want any of it public. I have a unique name, as far as I know I am the only one on the planet with my name so there is no possibility of there being any mistaken identity.
    Is there a way I can truly get this information off these sites, and prevent embarrassing revelations at work or among friends?

Please help, this stupid mistake won't stop haunting me.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2013, 04:22 PM
    You can't - you can write every site that is posting your name but whether to remove it is that site's choice.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Feb 7, 2013, 04:34 PM
    Also depending on the site, it could be a federally ran repository for county, state, federal offices to offload their data for public record. I believe whether this is public depends on the state? I am not entirely sure. Someone will correct me if I am wrong.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Feb 7, 2013, 04:40 PM
    Yep... once you're on the internet, you're pretty much there to stay.

If my name is searched, I show up with all kinds of fun facts as well... no, not a criminal record. I sued the local police, and it wasn't money that I was after... but still, I do know what it's like for your name to be out there when you don't want it to be. You'll just have to learn to live with it.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 7, 2013, 04:50 PM
    I thought I had a unique name, until I googled it. Turns out I'm not one of a kind, not even close, unless I really am a Princess in Hungary. Maybe I should check into that. ;)

Bottom line, once you're online, you're online. Unless you completely avoid using the internet, or avoid getting into trouble in this case, you can't avoid your name, or your info, being on the net.

You could legally change your name, if that's an option, and start fresh. Not sure if you'd be allowed to do that with criminal charges, but I'd look into it.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Feb 7, 2013, 04:54 PM
    Even if you change your name, your record follows. If it didn't, every pedophile in the country would have a different name to start fresh.
    MikeBear Posts: 31, Reputation: 9
    -

Feb 7, 2013, 04:57 PM
    A record of this kind usually will follow you for the rest of your life! I would try writing these sites, in hopes of accomplishing something. It won't hurt to try.
    Thisismiller3 Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Feb 18, 2013, 06:30 PM
    For everyone, I have discovered some of these sites you can petition to be removed, for those that can not be removed there are service that will help you "bury/surpress" the links associated with your name so that when some one searches you it will appear several pages back rather than one of the top results thereby decreasing the likelihood that someone will find it.

Better than nothing,

Thanks for the responses
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 18, 2013, 06:41 PM
    Alty, you're not the Princess? :(
    Entomology Expert

Feb 18, 2013, 07:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Alty, you're not the Princess? :(

Psst---- I think she believes she is. ;)
    Pets Expert

Feb 18, 2013, 08:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    Psst---- I think she believes she is. ;)
    Pshaw. I am definitely not a princess. I am the Queen! :)
    Entomology Expert

Feb 18, 2013, 09:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Pshaw. I am definitely not a princess. I am the Queen! :)
    See now? I figured Princess... Queens are old, you know?
    Pets Expert

Feb 18, 2013, 11:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    See now? I figured Princess....Queens are old, you know?
    Ah, sucking up now are we? That works for me. ;)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 19, 2013, 07:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Thisismiller3 View Post
    For everyone, I have discovered some of these sites you can petition to be removed, for those that can not be removed there are service that will help you "bury/surpress" the links associated with your name so that when some one searches you it will appear several pages back rather than one of the top results thereby decreasing the likelihood that someone will find it.

Better than nothing,

Thanks for the responses
    Getting back on point. I would be very careful about services that ask for money to bury your records. They are most likely scams since they can't control this. While its possible to do things to a site to make them show up more it's almost impossible to do the reverse.

No site is going to remove an accurate record just for asking.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2013, 01:35 PM
    Beat me to it, Scott - some of the sites which offer to remove your name in fact SELL the information you provide.

Beware. This is how a lot of cell phone numbers are located.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to change default internet browser to internet explorer using html codes? [ 2 Answers ]

How to change default internet browser to internet explorer using html codes?

Videos won't play on internet or show photos on psp internet [ 1 Answers ]

I am having trouble with my psp not showing videos or photos on the internet, can someone please tell me why?:o

How do I check a company or Internet Site with the Internet Better Business Bureau? [ 1 Answers ]

I sometimes find a company or Internet Website, that has not certificate etc. How do I check them out with the BBB for the Internet?

View more questions Search