Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yashchopra Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2007, 09:22 AM
    Why there is a need to be an extra IP header when sending an encrypted traffic
    When sending an encrypted traffic from firewall to firewall, why does there a need to be an extra IP header? Why can’t the firewall simply encrypt the packet, leaving the source and destination as the original source and destination?
    tbakry Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2007, 09:33 PM
    Because the encrypted payload contains the need routing information for the clients. If all we wanted to do was encrypt traffic between two hosts, we would not need to have the extra header, but, since we are creating an encrypted tunnel, the decrypted payload needs to be able to be processed on the network at either end of the tunnel.

Cheers,

Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Header in Gable End Wall [ 4 Answers ]

I'm looking for some input on headers required in Gable End Walls. I don't have a true header above my livingroom window and am wondering if, since it is a gable end wall, one is required. In the attached pic, the blue rectangle is the rim joist (SINGLE 2x10 - approx. 15' overall length) which...

Central heating header tank [ 1 Answers ]

Upon restarting the central heating for the winter period the following 2 things have occurred (I don't think they're related) 1) One of the rads only gets hot at the bottom (3/4 inches up the rad) the rad does not want to bleed i.e. no air coming out. 2) AND MORE WORRYING ! - once or twice...

Traffic light again [ 2 Answers ]

So I managed to get my hands on this traffic light and I posted orignianlly about how I might go about getting them to flash in some specific order. Now I just want them to flash randomly. Each of the 3 lights has its own hot wire and then there is a neutraul wire connected to all three. I just...

Traffic light [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to re wire a traffic light and I'm wondering how I get it to switch back and forth between the red green and yellow lights. I don't need them to go in order and I would like about 2 seconds between each light. Any help would be great thanks.:)

Unable to read file header message when attempting to open jpeg attachments [ 7 Answers ]

I have been unable to open jpeg files that are attached to email for several days! I have tried both Thunderird and Outlook Express and have disabled the block on attachments. No luck! The problem seemed to start when I attempted to load WinFax Pro and had an incomplete installation then when...

View more questions Search