Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Snuggle5 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2013, 09:10 AM
    White bug house pest
    Recently I've been finding these small white bugs starting to appear on my bags around the house. At first I thought they were young bed bugs but I'm starting to doubt it. Anyone have any ideas?

These are what I took
    http://i50.tinypic.com/168amwo.jpg
    http://i49.tinypic.com/37q1l.jpg
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Feb 7, 2013, 05:32 PM
    Ok then, back to the OP and the question.

Normally, I am fairly good at identifying bugs. In this case however, I am at a loss.

The pictures aren't very clear to me for one thing. Maybe if I had an idea of the general location as some bugs are specific to regions.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 7, 2013, 05:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    Ok then, back to the OP and the question.

Normally, I am fairly good at identifying bugs. In this case however, I am at a loss.

The pictures aren't very clear to me for one thing. Maybe if I had an idea of the general location as some bugs are specific to regions.
    That was my thought as well Odinn. It would help to know where the OP lives, or at least the general location, not exact street and address. ;)

To me they almost look like fly larva, but they're a bit small.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Feb 7, 2013, 05:45 PM
    Thinking about it, it would also help to know if they seem to walk, crawl, or jump and maybe how many legs they have if they can be seen.
    Pets Expert

Feb 7, 2013, 06:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    Thinking about it, it would also help to know if they seem to walk, crawl, or jump and maybe how many legs they have if they can be seen.
    It would also be helpful to know if the OP has any pets, such as a cat. The pictures remind me of my cat when he had worms. He'd lay on our bed, and it would look like someone spilled a bag of rice under him.

In other words, we need more info.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2013, 07:17 AM
    I'm a master gardener - inside or outside?

(Alty, "not the street address" is one of the best responses ever!)
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Feb 8, 2013, 12:49 PM
    On what type of bags? If luggage, I would suspect psocids.
    Pets Expert

Feb 8, 2013, 12:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    On what type of bags? If luggage, I would suspect psocids.
    Do my eyes deceive me? You're back? You're back! Yay!

Feb 16, 2013, 10:04 PM
    Well I think luggage is about it, although some of the bags weren't really used as luggage.

Indoors, but my neighbours do have plants out in the corridor next to my house.
    They are really small, hard to see exactly how many legs.

I don't keep any pets. They crawl around, although I seem to have seen 1 or 2 jump a short distance.

I soaked the bags in hot water, can't find any for now but they will eventually pop out again somewhere. I live in a highrise apartment I found some in my storeroom too. So far I noticed them on my black bags, except for 1 luggage bag which was red. Not sure if its just pure coincidence.

I will see if I can get a better picture when I find some again. Not easy though they are small, and I think partially why they are unclear its because I kind of semi squashed them when I scotched taped them hahaha.

Thanks for the help though.
    Pest Control Expert

Feb 17, 2013, 04:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Snuggle5 View Post
    well I think luggage is about it, although some of the bags weren't really used as luggage.

Indoors, but my neighbours do have plants out in the corridor next to my house.
    They are really small, hard to see exactly how many legs.

i don't keep any pets. They crawl around, although I seem to have seen 1 or 2 jump a short distance.

I soaked the bags in hot water, can't find any for now but they will eventually pop out again somewhere. I live in a highrise apartment I found some in my storeroom too. So far I noticed them on my black bags, except for 1 luggage bag which was red. Not sure if its just pure coincidence.

I will see if i can get a better picture when i find some again. not easy though they are small, and I think partially why they are unclear its because I kinda semi squashed them when I scotched taped them hahaha.

Thanks for the help though.
    See if this looks anything like them:
    Attached Images

Feb 22, 2013, 11:36 PM
    So I have positively identified the bugs as booklice, they went up my living room walls and ceiling, any idea how do I get rid of them? There's quite a lot of them.
    Pest Control Expert

Feb 23, 2013, 03:12 AM
    So I have positively identified the bugs as booklice, they went up my living room walls and ceiling, any idea how do I get rid of them? There's quite a lot of them.
    You can find many people trying to sell you products or services for psocid control online, but the real trick is to eliminate their food source - mildew.

Getting rid of mildew is a two step process.
    1) Dry up the environment. Dehumidifiers, Damp Rid - type absobents, and fans can help.
    2) Wash the surfaces where mildew can grow with a good disinfectant. Lysol-type products, ammonia, or bleach do a good job. You need to get OCD on cleaning as mildew can grow in the smallest cracks if they stay damp.

Feb 24, 2013, 04:19 AM
    Do you think a new coat of paint would help? Or should I clean the walls first? Think the above kind of cleaners would probably damage the paint on my walls anyway if I did clean it first. Think the aircon should also help dry up for bedrooms?
    Pest Control Expert

Feb 24, 2013, 09:44 AM
    Do you think a new coat of paint would help? Or should I clean the walls first? think the above kind of cleaners would probably damage the paint on my walls anyway if I did clean it first. Think the aircon should also help dry up for bedrooms?
    First step is drying out the environment. Air conditioners don't normally do enough, but they can help. If you can't afford an actual dehumidifier, there are several absorbent products on the market. I use the Damp-Rid brand simply because it seems easier to find in my area.

The aerosol disinfectants are designed not to hurt household surfaces, but it won't hurt to check the label for any warnings about paint.

Feb 27, 2013, 08:28 AM
    Thanks! I'll work on it. Just hope I can get it right haha

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

White jelly bug [ 0 Answers ]

I was stung a few days ago by a tiny white bug. It looks like a tiny ball of fuzzy white jelly. The sting burns and itches and left a good size knot. Could u please help not sure if I need to see a doctor

Small white bug/insects in house [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I have noticed small like bug/insect things in my house I have seen them on wood furniture and some boxes. They are really small they are no bigger than about 1-2cm if you look closely they do have legs I'm not sure how many. They are really white that they are almost transparent, I've looked...

Identifying a new pest in our house [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to identify a new pest in my home - it's a white larvae, about maybe a half inch long: https://www.dropbox.com/s/l9yvtzauqx8nydi/alien.jpg I live in Atlanta, just inside the city. The condo was redone in 2008, as the old structure was stripped down to the foundation and rebuilt. The...

The White, 6 legs, bug [ 4 Answers ]

Well I'm baby sitting and the kid I'm babysitting tell me that there is a white bug.. I have no clue what it is. Its maybe the size of a little aun.. maybe a tad bigger.. it has no wings.. long antenna's and it looks like it loves to climb. I have looked all over the internet to figure what...

Invisible flying house pest [ 2 Answers ]

Can someone help please? For months now I have been attacked by flying invisible insects in the basement of my home where I spend most of my time, do to my office being there. It starts around 9pm just after dark they come out, I can feel them crawling on me in my hair, going in to my ears, up my...

View more questions Search