Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rdavison39 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2013, 05:46 AM
    Arc fault breaker keeps triping
    In my house where I put in a new panel and rewired during renovations (5-6 years ago) I had to put in an AFCI (arc fault breaker) for the bedroom (part of building code). Not only do the bedroom outlets run off this breaker so do the kitchen potlights (6 of them).

What appears to be happening now is anytime a load is put on that circuit (I plug TV into outlet or turn lights on) the breaker trips. I exchanged the breaker with a new one but same problem. It doesn’t seem to be a short otherwise the breaker would trip with no load. Seems the breaker is detecting what its suppose to….and that is an arc of some sort (otherwise why would it trip). Now of course the question is, where is the source of the fault?

What would be your suggestion? Replace one by one the outlets? Take the potlights out of the ceiling to see if they are a problem. Obviously the wiring is behind the drywall so can’t do anything there?

Just not sure what to do to fix?

Any ideas?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 7, 2013, 06:07 AM
    I would first look for a loose neutral in the circuit panel.
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2013, 06:21 AM
    As HK suggests, first verify that all the wiring connections that are easily accessible are correct and tight.
    If the AFCI is still tripping, you can begin the search by disconnecting the circuit somewhere near the mid-point and turn it back on for a while to see if it holds... if the AFCI continues to trip disconnect that half of the circuit in half, etc.
    The intention of course is to get as close the problem as possible and then you may be able to identify that a certain load is causing the trip or you actually have a piece of wire that is arcing to some ground source...
    Good luck...
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2013, 06:28 AM
    Often, the action of turning on a switch can cause a AFCI breaker to trip, a worn out switch will cause excessive arcing in the switch.

Replace switch.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Feb 7, 2013, 06:33 AM
    Question, does your home have Copper or Aluminum wiring?
    rdavison39 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2013, 04:44 PM
    Thanks Guys. The wire is copper and the whole basement along with panel was replaced 5 years ago (so relatively new). The breaker trips anytime any load is put on the circuit. Meaning if I plug something into any of the sockets or flip the switch that has 6 potlights on the circuit the breaker flips. I've taken out all the light bulbs and breaker will not trip if there are no light bulbs and switch is turned on... but if there are any bulbs in any of the 6 sockets it trips the breaker.

I'll start taking apart all the sockets as suggested and see if I can pinpoint the source. Hopefully its not behind the drywall as that would be very difficult to fix.

I guess bottom line is that there is some arc somewhere happening causing the breaker to flip and I have to pinpoint that source - right?

What a pain!

Ron
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2013, 06:35 AM
    Ron,
    Yes, sometimes AFCI tripping issues can be difficult... take it slow and draw diagrams
    Of the paths your on and have tested...
    If all the lights are off and you plug something into a receptacle, does it trip?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Arc fault breaker [ 9 Answers ]

As some of you might remember, I have knob and tube in my house. I just had a new panel installed, but the knob and tube remains. I am in the process to change that over, but in the meantime, would an AFCI breaker protect from arcs that might happen in the wall cavity? My wife heard a story of a...

Arc fault breaker code [ 4 Answers ]

Can I protect a kitchen counter circuit with GFI outlets with a AFBreaker and add a hall outlet on the other side of the wall

ARC Fault Breaker problems [ 1 Answers ]

The ARC Fault Breaker of one of my bedrooms turns off. I cannot turn it on now. What could be the cause? By the way, I have turned off all the switches. What should I do from this point on? A related interesting question is why the night light that I plugged into one outlet in the bedroom is...

Re-setting Arc Fault Breaker [ 2 Answers ]

After an electrical storm where elec service was interupted I can not re-set the two Bedroom Arc Fault Breakers. Breakers are mfd by Eaton & has small yellow test button on each. Says type BYAF. All else is well. Home is 1 year old in Florida. Please help.

Arc fault breaker wiring [ 1 Answers ]

Can I power two arc fault protected circuits through one 14-3 feeder? I intend to install two arc fault breakers in the panel and route the power to two bedrooms through a single run of 14-3 cable.

View more questions Search