Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    soundsshady Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2013, 04:52 PM
    Hr asked employee to access managers email
    The new he director of our company asked an employee to log in to her manager's email so that hr could see what emails were being sent and workload. The manager, managers boss and company president are all unaware of this request. Is it legal? Company is in ca.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 6, 2013, 05:05 PM
    A company owns their e-mail system. Therefor the company is entitled to look at any e-mail activity by any employee.

However its curious that they would go to an employee instead of the IT department. If I were that employee I would tell HR that I'm uncomfortable spying on my manager and that they can get access to his e-mails through IT.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2013, 05:05 PM
    Me personally would not do it. I would not care even if the President of the company ask. If they are in the HR department , they will have access to all company email accounts.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 6, 2013, 05:17 PM
    Actually HR would not usually have access, but IT would and they can request access from IT.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 7, 2013, 12:34 AM
    If HR asked to access it, the employee would have to get permission from management, to do this. It appears that HR was wanting to get something without official permission. The employee should go to his boss or a higher up manager

I personally would not do it, unless it was from management in writing

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why human resource management important to managers, employee and employer [ 1 Answers ]

Why human resource management important to managers, employee and employer

Is it actionable sexual harassment when a female employee is asked to see a scar? [ 1 Answers ]

A female employee has an operation on her breast and when she returns to work, a male employee "jokingly" asks to see the scar. Is this actionable sexual harassment?

Blocking Employee Access [ 7 Answers ]

How do i block my employees from using myspace, facebook, reunion.com, and other social networking sites? We have 4 computers (in addition to my own) that work off a network. Please help!

Employee access to their personnel files [ 9 Answers ]

Can an employer refuse or restrict access to an employee's personnel file? i.e.. Refuse copies of documents w/in that file.

View more questions Search