Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    badboy23 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2013, 11:14 AM
    Immigration to Canada
    Hello I am a Mauritian from little island Mauritius in Indian Ocean.

Have been living in Italy for the last 3 years.

Now due to crisis I want to relocate to Canada. I have only been hearing good things of this country.

I have a friend ( she already has her house and permanent resident permit) that wants to accommodate me in Quebec, she's ready to send invitation letter also.

My question is it good if I move to Canada with a tourist visa and then find a work and convert my visa into a working permit visa? Is it realistically possible?

Do I need to return to Italy during the work permit procedure?

I have experience in the hospitality sector (Public relations, front office, etc) and I speak fluently French, English and Italian.

Thanks in advance for the help :)

p.s: my back-up plan is moving to Australia (complicated) but I prefer Canada
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 6, 2013, 11:32 AM
    I suggest a work visa straight off, because that is your purpose anyway.

Feb 6, 2013, 12:07 PM
    Thanks Tickle :)

Your advice is I don't even move their on tourist visa

But to apply for a working visa straight off I will need an employer that wants to assume and go through the LMO procedure isn't it?

By your opinion which are the regions having more employment possibilities nowadays in Canada, specially in hospitality? Heard Alberta is ideal, do you have some more advice?

If there something special I should know about the whole procedure. I really want to do things the right way, I can't afford any mistake :(

Feb 6, 2013, 12:10 PM
    By the way I have only a Mauritian passport and my working permit is only valid in Italy.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 6, 2013, 01:58 PM
    Yes, thinking over my advise about working permit, renig on that, yes come over on a Visitors Visa; but you can have that for only 60 days, and that is up to the whim of the immigration officer you will have to meet to discuss your stay on the Visa. You will have to be squeaky clean and all papers in order.

Opportunities are better out west, yes you heard correct, Alberta is booming in just about everything, but then Ontario, Nova Scotia, Quebec are excellent choices for the hospitality industry. Helps if you speak french though for Nova Scotia and Quebec, not so much Ontario.
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Feb 6, 2013, 06:38 PM
    Agree with tickle. Get job offer that employer can sponsor visa for you... don't enter as visitor and expect for work. It's not that easy when you don't have proper documents.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Immigration to Canada [ 0 Answers ]

I landed in 2002 with my wife then we left Canada and came back in 2003.We stayed for a short time there and we got our PR card, it was so difficult to have a job and for some family issues and financial things I had to leave Canada again. Since 2003 I did not come back and now I have two kids .I...

I want to know all about immigration to canada? [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know all about the immigration to canada.. eveything about it.. what is the easiest visa I can get.. how many years should I stay in canada to get the passport or to be citizin

Immigration canada divorced [ 0 Answers ]

Hi I am an Iran citizen living in Australia ,I have applied for PR as principal applicant and my husband is dependent we have sent our passport to canadian embassy for visa issue,I am thinking about divorcing my husband even before landing what would happen to my case and also his

Canada Immigration Medical [ 6 Answers ]

We are in USA, we file for Canada immigration from USA .we Got a Medical Done from USA but after a Month My Wife got a additional medical inquiry, But at That time She was in India, I called up NY Consulate and they said it is OK to get additional Medical Done from India as my wife was in India at...

Immigration fraud in Canada [ 2 Answers ]

How to report immigration fraud in Canada? Thanks. g.z.

View more questions Search