Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Krone Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2013, 09:07 AM
    Life's purpose
    Why is it that I often feel lost?what is my life's purpose?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 6, 2013, 09:11 AM
    Are you 12 or 32 or 52?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Feb 6, 2013, 09:20 AM
    It's OK. I'm 46 and I'm still wondering what my purpose is. I think it is somewhat normal. I have a 12 year old daughter and I tell myself that perhaps she is my purpose.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 6, 2013, 09:35 AM
    Every morning I find a new purpose for living. Here are the words I live by --

To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier because I have lived. This is my purpose.
    Story Writer Posts: 108, Reputation: 13

Feb 6, 2013, 10:22 AM
    O my purposes often change with time. Sometimes I want to earn a lot of wealth, while at the other time I wish to be great. Sometimes altruism gets heavy on me, while at other times I make the purpose of life a little sexist. Sometimes, I want to earn a lot of fame and name, while sometimes, I just want to just sit and go on reading and reading and reading. Aims go on changing with time, as TS Eliot said, 'the books you read vary with time.'

I would like others to tell their life purpose also.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2013, 10:33 AM
    My kids. :)
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 6, 2013, 10:47 AM
    My son, and older individuals I help to overcome debilitating illnesses through my work. As I get older, my garden seems to be In this scenario too.
    Expert

Feb 6, 2013, 10:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Story Writer View Post
    O my purposes often change with time. Sometimes I want to earn a lot of wealth, while at the other time I wish to be great. Sometimes altruism gets heavy on me, while at other times I make the purpose of life a little sexist. Sometimes, I want to earn a lot of fame and name, while sometimes, I just want to just sit and go on reading and reading and reading. Aims go on changing with time, as TS Eliot said, 'the books you read vary with time.'

I would like others to tell their life purpose also.
    Story writer, are you male or female?
    Expert

Feb 6, 2013, 10:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Story writer, are you male or female?
    And welcome to our community.

Tick
    Expert

Feb 6, 2013, 10:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    My kids. :)
    How many do you have, NK?
    Story Writer Posts: 108, Reputation: 13

Feb 6, 2013, 10:51 AM
    Tickle,

Thanks for welcoming me... I am female!
    Why do you ask? Why do you welcome? Any speical reason?

Let me clarify about NeedKarma... she must have more than one kids!
    Please reply to my other queries... give me greenies, if you like my replies.
    Expert

Feb 6, 2013, 10:54 AM
    Tickle,

Thanks for welcoming me....I am female!
    Curiosity mostly. Your screen name gave no clue and we usually welcome new members when we get a chance to do so.
    Expert

Feb 6, 2013, 10:56 AM
    Tickle,

Thanks for welcoming me....I am female!

Let me clarify about NeedKarma.....she must have more than one kids!
    Please reply to my other queries...give me greenies, if you like my replies.
    I wanted to know how many. We will let NK tell us !

And being here is not only to accumulate greenies.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2013, 10:58 AM
    I'm a guy (dad) actually. I have two kids.
    Username_Chris Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2013, 09:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    It's ok. I'm 46 and I'm still wondering what my purpose is. I think it is somewhat normal. I have a 12 year old daughter and I tell myself that perhaps she is my purpose.
    This is what I think of your meaning of purpose: You work hard and have been doing so all your life yet you still ponder on the notion if there's still something else to do. What are you doing? Why have you been doing it? How long? etc. There is. I don't know anything about you but universally we are connected in some way. You never know, we might meet each other for a second and smile then go on about our paths. Yet, we never knew we had communicated through a computer. Not a very significant detail but it's part of life's mysteries.

Perhaps when you are an old man your daughter will have acknowledged your dedication and it will reflect upon her. I'm sure of it.

Feb 14, 2013, 09:59 AM
    I feel your pain as I often wonder the same thing. Sometimes I feel like life is meaningless and we are simply born to live a miserable century then die; forgotten souls. Other times I feel more excited to be alive than any other day. And I'm glad I'm part of the universe to see what it has to offer and what I can offer IT. Then, I think, I keep thinking, and it amazes me at how fast time goes by. Especially now more than ever. So I worry and worry and wonder why we only have a certain amount on time on Earth. Why? What if we had longer periods before we had to go? Why not give us 200 years? Better yet, make us immortal? I patiently think and think really hard until non-existing time passes by telling me to hold my virtues. Then the days go by, and I still am waiting patiently and thinking trying to find a universal answer to life; to purpose; to our own personal existence. Though, I never do. But I know, we all have one. I figured out some us have to wait decades to find it and others are already doing it without even knowing it.
    So, should we try to find it or let it find us? I understand; if we try to find it we are going to be lost in the puzzle that is life. We're just going to keep digging a bigger hole until we either find the treasure or hit rock bottom. And whatever you find you have to endure. It could be good, it could be bad. One thing's for sure is that we all have to suffer and make people around us suffer. That's one part of life's cycle. It all has to balance out.

IF we were to wait and let purpose find us we wouldn't know when it's going to appear or hit us. I'm sure whenever you're doing something or not doing anything you stop for a brief moment then tell yourself, "what the am I doing with my life?" Maybe because what you're currently doing you feel it isn't part of your life or life itself. Maybe you feel like you should be contributing to the environment to help out in anyway you can. Even small things such as recycling but it's just not enough. What if for example, we were to make a law in which everyone had to recycle and if you didn't you would be fined for using waste materials that could be reused to create a machine such as a solar panel in order to reduce oil and gas so we can live in a cleaner healthier planet. Because our ozone layer isn't going to last much long if we keep doing what we're doing.

That law would be unfair but seeing as how there are still millions of people who don't even bother to stop and think about how our society is run and just want to live their lives, that would be unfair to us who are trying to protect the environment and spread the word on issues involving the dangers of not keeping our planet clean. Maybe you're destined to be known by everyone in the world for something similar to that. I'm not sure. See, there is no clear definition of life's purpose but there are things we must do that are natural in order to get a better definition through our perspective.

You just have to keep on living and keep searching. Peace, bro.

Mar 14, 2013, 11:17 PM
    You haven't found your calling. Don't worry, though, some find it sooner than others. Some find it without searching, others search far and wide for years. We're all lost at first but found at last. Just breath and make your day count. Or throw some days away; or recycle, however you best see fit.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 15, 2013, 12:57 AM
    I find it liberating to have decided that there is no 'meaning' or 'purpose' other than what we choose to create for ourselves. There's nothing universal floating around the universe that defines what a human's purpose is. Our ancestors were too busy living short lives of struggle to think about it - until their brains developed enough to be able to think about what isn't, and what is possible, and what hasn't happened yet, and why any of it happens. And there we were, sitting around the fire we now knew how to make, wearing clothes we learned to make to keep warm, and tools to hunt food, talking words instead of grunts, and thinking thoughts like this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What's your purpose in life [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone know their purpose in life?

Purpose of our life [ 12 Answers ]

What is the purpose of this life. Just eating, sleeping, working and doing some favors for the needy- will this justify our existence? Why god has sent us on the earth? Getting confused.

What is the purpose of life? [ 40 Answers ]

Hey guys just wanted to ask everyone what they think the purpose of life is besides being happy? Do everyone want the american dream? Get a job, get married, have kids? Personally I find the american dreams pretty dull not that exciting, I just think there is more to life than that. Anyway what are...

The purpose of life [ 7 Answers ]

Do we exist by chance? If not, why do we exist?

Purpose of Life? [ 85 Answers ]

I know and believe what my purpose in life is, Do you know yours? And whatever you believe, could you please explain how have you reached this conclusion? Thank you in advance for all your thoughts! :)

View more questions Search