Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Blackmons07 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2013, 07:46 AM
    480v 3p panel
    I have a water line that is ran directly above but right behind my panel. Is this a code violation? If so is their a minimum distance around the panel you have to be? Or is it OK as long as its not above the panel?
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2013, 10:39 AM
    It sounds like you are not within the dedicated space required for a panel, (NEC 110.26), so legally you may be OK, although I would not be happy with a water line so close to a 480V panel in my house...
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Feb 7, 2013, 07:03 AM
    This is a code violation, unless there is protection for the panel from water dripping.

The pipe is considered to be a "Foreign Service".
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2013, 08:28 AM
    The comment, "directly above but right behind" is somewhat vague I agree...
    If... this water pipe is "directly above" the panel then yes it certainly is a code violation...
    If... this pipe is "behind" the panel then no it is not a coded violation...

Blackmons... can you clarify this location more accurately?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2013, 08:31 AM
    If a fluid line needs to be above a panel in the dedicated space above the panel, a drip pan is allowed to be installed below the piping and above the panel to protect the panel.

Feb 7, 2013, 08:32 AM
    Yes, I thought about that, but in order for the pipe to be behind the panelboard, the panelboard would be mounted to what?
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2013, 08:55 AM
    The rule for "drip pans" indoors is in NEC 110.26(E)(1)... (a) drip pans are not allowed to be located within the dedicated space.
    (b) requires the drip pans to be located "above" the dedicated space when foreign systems are also located above the dedicated space...

I have seen other inspectors who have allowed drip protection in tight corners, but the book is the book...

Feb 7, 2013, 10:10 AM
    I don't have my book with me today would you please do me a favor and put the verticle distance that the dedicated space goes to. I believe it is 6.5' above the equipment which in a residence would be in the overhead. Thanks
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2013, 10:19 AM
    Don,
    NEC 2011 - 110.26 (E)(1)(a): "Dedicated Electrical Space: The space equal to the width and depth of the equipment and extending from the floor to the height of 1.8 m (6 ft) above the equipment or to the structural ceiling, whichever is lower, shall be dedicated to the electrical installation."

The answer was 6 ft. don't mean to be long winded, only complete...
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2013, 11:41 AM
    Don, the title of the post is 480v 3p panel , I do not think this is residential.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

480v to ground [ 2 Answers ]

Pole lighting feed 480v1phase 30amp brkr 2pole Amp draw at brkr 45A each leg At pole base voltage reads 56volts each leg to ground 180volts between Another pole ltg branch ckt feeding through reading 277v between although 480v to ground per phase. I am baffled to what could resolve this

480v gen set [ 1 Answers ]

Can you hook up 480v to 600v heaters

480v - 277v step-down transformer [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for a 480v-277v step down transformer. The smallest possible.

Convert 110V to 480V [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I need to convert 110V AC to 480V AC (no current - like a big Capacitor). So far I could not find the right transformer for that task. My Question is whether I can use a ballast for luminiscent Lights (converts to ~600V) and a dimmer to adjust the voltage to what I need. If this...

Convert 208v to 480v [ 2 Answers ]

We bought a 20kW UPS that is designed for 480V 3 phase. We are moving to a building that is only wired for 208V. Is there any way to convert 208 3phase to 480 volt 3 phase or will we need to scrap the UPS?

View more questions Search