Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    johnnyboy76 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2013, 09:41 PM
    Electrical help
    I am currently in an apt where the upstairs bathroom and both bedrooms all run on the same circuit breaker. The lights on the stairs, bathroom, master bedroom, guest bedroom and hallway all run on the same breaker with all the outlets as well. They are all running on a 20 amp breaker. I am looking to split up the outlets into different 20 amp breakers or run them on one 40 amp breaker. I have a 140 amp circuit box. How can I make this happen. Are their enough wires to run them to multiple breakers? Or, could I put them on the 40 amp breaker if its not running anything else?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2013, 02:39 AM
    If you are having a problem with that circuit, tell the owner and have him get an electrician to correct it. You can not make changes without his permission.

You can not change the breaker to 40 amps. The wire gauge is not rated for it.

To split up the circuit will take a lot of testing to see how the cables are run. Then you will need a cable run from each of the 20 amp breakers.

Chuck
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2013, 03:33 AM
    DO NOT Use a 40 amp Breaker on 20 amp wiring!

There is no such thing as a 140 amp panel or service.

You are not allowed to do your own electrical work in any building that is not your own single family dwelling.

You must consult with your landlord, who must hire a qualified electrician.

You are certainly not qualified, by suggesting to use a 40 amp breaker on a 20 amp circuit.

Any electrical work you do will jeopardize other innocent occupants, and the property.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Feb 6, 2013, 04:46 AM
    Completely agree with TK, on all points!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the virginia electrical code number restricting a electrical box in a closet [ 3 Answers ]

Need to now the code in virginia by number On the placement of a circuit box in a clooset

Hy dose one electrical outlet make my ac adapter run hotter than another electrical o [ 2 Answers ]

Why dose one electrical outlet make my ac adapter run hotter than another electrical outlet? Two different AC adapters showed the same heating tendency. Multimetered both outlets the hot one runs at 122 v the other is at 120 v. I can't see that the voltage would cause the AC adapter to run...

Toro Lawn Tractor : Electrical power not getting to the electrical clutch. How fix? [ 2 Answers ]

1992 Toro Lawn Tractor with excellent mtnce: The electrical power is not getting to the electircal clutch. What is the problem and how do I fix it? Thanks

Can substandard electrical wiring installation at home produce electrical arching [ 6 Answers ]

Can substandard electrical wiring installation at home produce electrical arching? Then fire?

View more questions Search