Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wzsamd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2013, 04:54 PM
    Internatinal student forgot to file tax
    I am an international student. I came in 2008, my friend told me there is no need to file tax. I had income in 2009,2010 and 2011. What should I do? Also, can tax treaty be used on these years?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 5, 2013, 10:47 PM
    You can file late. If your employer enforced the withholding rules correctly, you probably have refunds coming for ALL three years.

Do the 2009 return QUICKLY; if you wait beyond 15 April 2013, you FORFEIT any refund due.

If you believe that you will need professional help filing this year, this IS what I do. Please double-click on my name (Atlanta Tax Expert) above to access my profile. You will find my email address in the signature portion of the profile (scroll down to the BOTTOM of the page).
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 6, 2013, 05:54 AM
    Yes, you are required to file tax return if your income exceeds the exemption amount for the year.
    If you owe any tax you will pay interest on it and some penalty. If you have a refund, you will get it.
    You can also request for waiver of penalty.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1 student forgot to file form 8843 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a F-1 student and I didn't know that I had to file form 8843 last year and I didn't find out until today. What should I do? Should I mail both in separate letters? Please let me know. E.

F1 student forgot to file form 8843 [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I've been a F1 student since the fall of 2009, and I have had income since then. As I've only worked sporadically and have earned less than $3750 during 2009 and 2010, I didn't file for taxes (1040NR/EZ); but I also forgot to file the 8843 form for those two years. I only just came to realize...

Can I file my tax if I'm on student visa? [ 1 Answers ]

Im on H-1b visa from 2006-2009. Now I'm on my F-1 or student visa since 2010, Can I file for a tax return?

International student forgot to file 8843 for previous year [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I have been in the US as an international student since 2005 fall, and am still currently enrolled. I had no income in the year 2007, and didn't file the corresponding 8843 in the year 2008, as no one in our school had told us about it, I have just filed my 8843 for this year though ( as...

View more questions Search