Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    father1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2007, 05:37 AM
    Voluntary termination of parental rights
    My 6 year old daughter was kidnapped by her biological mother 4 and a half years ago and taken to South Africa. After exhausting monumental international and domestic court battles, I was unable to afford to continue fight for my daughter and as a result lost her. I have also evoked the assistance of the government of both the USA and SA through the Hague Convention to assist me in maintaining some contact overseas all to no avail. Currently, I am forced to pay child support in the amount of 100.00 per week even though I am being denied ALL parental rights. I have exhausted every possible means of developing a relationship with my beloved child. All attempts to gain the cooperation of the mother has failed. She refuses to allow me even phone contact. I do not have the money to afford a lawyer and need to find emotional and financial relief.

Can you please tell me if I am legally allowed to voluntarily termination my parental rights and how I would be able to accomplish this pro se?

Thank you.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2007, 05:52 AM
    Hello father:

It's a sad, sad story. Unfortunately, I'm not going to make it any brighter. During all of your legal squabbles, somebody should have told you that giving up your parental rights doesn't have anything to do with giving up your parental obligations.

Bummer, Dude. You're obligated to pay child support. You ain't going to get out of it. Plus, I'd never, ever give up my rights to my child, even if I'm being denied them (for the present). The future hasn't happened yet.

excon
    tinsign Posts: 275, Reputation: 66

Mar 18, 2007, 06:08 AM
    First there are legal aide lawyers that you can get for free if you are unable to afford one to help you.
    Another thing is excon is correct you still have to pay child support.
    What you need now is to get a good lawyer or at least some sort of legal aide to help you to see your child.
    tishee_76 Posts: 64, Reputation: 4

Mar 18, 2007, 06:14 AM
    Hi father1
    I can't offer advice or answers, though I really wish I could tell you what you want hear.. I just wanted to let you know I feel for you and never give up hope no matter how dim the situation seems..
    I know this post doesn't help as such, but I hope it gives you strength to pursue further..
    I believe good things happen to good people, sometimes it just takes a little longer..
    Best of wishes to you..
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 18, 2007, 06:16 AM
    I would say that if you had legal custody ( and someone without custody took the child) there is no way you would be ordered to pay child support.

Now if the bio mother had legal custody and you had visitation rights, and she just moved ( perhaps against court order) and you were ordered in the court custody to pay child support then you have to pay child support.

So if this is a court order, then yes you are obligated.

If you had legal custody of the child, and this was a true "kidnapping" then there are other things that could be done.

Also who or what agency is enforcing the child support since obviously she can't enforce it from South Africa.
    my2229 Posts: 38, Reputation: 2

Mar 18, 2007, 07:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by father1
    My 6 year old daughter was kidnapped by her biological mother 4 and a half years ago and taken to South Africa. After exhausting monumental international and domestic court battles, I was unable to afford to continue fight for my daughter and as a result lost her. I have also evoked the assistance of the government of both the USA and SA through the Hague Convention to assist me in maintaining some contact overseas all to no avail. Currently, I am forced to pay child support in the amount of 100.00 per week even though I am being denied ALL parental rights. I have exhausted every possible means of developing a relationship with my beloved child. All attempts to gain the cooperation of the mother has failed. She refuses to allow me even phone contact. I do not have the money to afford a lawyer and need to find emotional and financial relief.

Can you please tell me if I am legally allowed to voluntarily termination my parental rights and how I would be able to accomplish this pro se?

Thank you.
    Don't give up. You can put listing in the local papers where she resides in hope that your daughter may one day pick it up to read. Just print it as looking for daughter; state her approx. age and your contatc infomartion. She will one day ceom looking for you. Keep all documents that you have searched for her over the years for that will really mean a lot to her when she gets old enough to find her way back to you herself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Voluntary relinquishment of parental rights [ 15 Answers ]

I have a child with my ex boyfriend we were never married and there was never given custody to either of us. I want to give my rights up on my child and for him to have all rights. How would I go about doing that?

Termination of parental rights [ 4 Answers ]

My son is 14 years old and I have not been involved in his life for several years. I am currently paying child support and owe the state and mother back support. His mother has just got married... so my son has support and I would like to pay her the back support I owe and the state, but no more...

Voluntary relinquish parental rights [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I separated years ago, and during the separation, I lived with another man and we now have a six year old. My husband has since divorced me, and we never claimed my son during the divorce, we need to know how to go about getting his rights voluntarily relinquished, and have my son's...

Voluntary Relinquishment of Parental Rights [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I had a child 14years when I was 18 and The father and his mother took my child from me at the age of one after I went in the hospital to have my daughter. I came home and went to pick up my child and they wouldn't let me after I called the police and came back to the house with the police...

Voluntary termination of parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I just want to know how my husband can do to relinquish his parental rights over his daughter , we have been married for 7 years he recently told me he has a 1 year old daughter Its been hard for me to cope with this problem at first I tought the best thing to do was try and get visitation...

View more questions Search