Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    slickangel13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2013, 07:17 PM
    Fish poop snails?
    OK so I have a molly fish and when I got her she was fat. Now today she is skinny and there is a snail in the aquarium from out of no where. Is it possible that she pooped it out??
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 4, 2013, 07:28 PM
    No, but its possible your fish was pregnant. Also if you got any seaweed with your fish it had snail eggs on it.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Feb 4, 2013, 08:13 PM
    Molly's get pregnant fairly easily and she very well could have been when you got her.

Snails come in on plants. You will probably want to be getting rid of it too because they slowly start to multiply and then become a nuisance if left unchecked.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 4, 2013, 08:17 PM
    My dad made the mistake of actually buying a snail. Within a year we had more snails than water in the tank. They multiple worse than rabbits, worse than mice. If you have one, it won't be long before you have thousands.

But no, your fish didn't give birth, or poop out, this snail. She could have had baby molly's though. Check the tank. They would have hidden immediately, or been eaten if you have other fish in the tank.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Feb 4, 2013, 08:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    They would have hidden immediately, or been eaten if you have other fish in the tank.
    Mommy very often eats the young as well.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 4, 2013, 08:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    Mommy very often eats the young as well.
    Usually only if threatened or if can't build a bubble nest for them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a 3 yr old mini schnauzer that eats poop and also will poop/pee in the house [ 3 Answers ]

He seems to get too distracted outside by birds, squirels, and or whatever else. How can I work on these annoying traits, otherwise he's a wonderful temperament dog.

Snails on house and property [ 6 Answers ]

Any ideas why some people get snails on their house and on their property. There everywhere outside. Ideas on how to get rid of them. Already put salt on some of them that were attached to the house. With a mix of salt and water. But it killing my grass... Help... Why does this happen. ...

Pond snails in aquarium. [ 10 Answers ]

I have a fresh water 29 gallon tank. Every 6 months or so I end up doing a complete water change and gravel change do to the pond snails taking over my tank. I have no snails for about 3 months then all of the sudden they show up again. How do I keep them from coming back? I have tried snail begone...

Raising and marketing snails [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best way to raise and care for snails on a commercial scale ?

Snails/Slugs everywhere [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have found that every night there are a lot of snails/slugs everywhere outside on the sidewalks and driveway. What can I do to get rid of them or make them go away. I hate having to watch every step I take when I am walking around at night. They are just gross looking and feeling when...

View more questions Search