Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    digdug66 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2013, 12:05 PM
    I am A-2 diplomat, my wife A-2 dependent with regular work - is she exempt from tax?
    Hi.

I am a non-US citizen and work for a foreign government organization in the US, and have an A-2 visa. My wife has the same visa which is dependent on me. She has been working a regular job at a US company.

I don't file taxes to the US, but she must using a 1040NR form. The question is, is she exempt from income tax given her status? If so, how do you go about filing that on the 1040NR form?

Also, we live in NYC, would she also be exempt from NY State and City tax?

Thanks,
    Robert
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 3, 2013, 05:22 PM
    Robert,

No, she is NOT exempt. She was given permission to work with the understanding that she would pay, federal, state AND city income taxes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can my wife work in dependent visa? While I am studying in UK? [ 0 Answers ]

Answer me if possible to my email to >Remove<

Can I be a citizen if I am dependent to a diplomat? [ 4 Answers ]

My situation goes like so, I am a son of a diplomat and on my passport it states that I am a dependent on my mother who is a diplomat. I was wondering if it was possible if I can be a american citizen,or change me current status so that I can join the navy,or at the very least file for a petition?...

Filing Tax with/without wife(dependent) [ 1 Answers ]

I am here(New Jersey) on H1 from March 2008. My wife came here on H4 on May 2008. Now I received my W2. I want to file tax returns... 1. Should I file individually or jointly and what are the benefits. 2. How should I go about filing tax. What are the steps. 3. I believe we have to get...

Previous student J1 (did not work), now scholar J1 (tax exempt?) [ 3 Answers ]

Hi All, I am a research scholar from Australia on a J1 Visa. I arrived in the US in February 2008 and this is the first time I have worked here. I previously spent time in the US as a student for one semester on a J1 visa from the end of 2003 to May 2004. During my time as a student in the US...

View more questions Search