Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NorPlan Posts: 425, Reputation: 3

Feb 3, 2013, 07:13 AM
    Maintaining Cedar Hedge...
    Back the Week before Christmas Mother Nature had dumped a combination Heavy Snow and lots of it, Freezing Rain , and just plain Rain... Unfortunately we were away from home so was unable to do a quick remedy... The Cedar Hedge was planted by the previous owner some 7 yrs ago and has grown to a height of 10 / 12 ft. and filled out pretty well considering.. The weight of the Snow has caused the hedge to bend over in spots almost 90' in spots as well.. I had taken as much snow off as I could without breaking any branches and of course the rest is melting on sunny days.. My Query is , Will the branches spring back up by Spring time once the ground has thawed out?? If I have to do any trimming will it take long for the hedge to fill back in?? I have a 6ft. Ladder so standing near the top rung and reaching comfortably 10 / 12ft. Is as high as I can manage... I would assume letting the hedge reach too much higher wouldn't be proper?? I'd like to see the Hedge fill out as privousy is a concern... Thanks
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 3, 2013, 08:15 AM
    The more you take off the top, makes the cedar fill out in the bottom and middle. We made the mistake of a previously planted hedge go higher then l0. We shared it with our neighbour, so it was sort of a double hedge. If you use it for privacy, six ft is enough for that. We managed to trim our portion back to six ft. but his remains at well over l0!

When the thaw comes, the cedar will spring back into shape, but why don't you get a professional to trim it down for you. You are not going to be able to do it properly on a ladder?
    samcreed Posts: 132, Reputation: 18
    -

Feb 3, 2013, 08:17 AM
    I use to have some cedar hedges where I lived, and they did come back after bending 90 degrees over in the heavy snow. They were about 9 to 10 ft. tall. It will take them some time, but they will probably come back.
    I would give them some time, before you start cutting them back.
    Good luck, and I wish you the best.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 3, 2013, 09:24 AM
    I agree with the idea of not letting them get higher than you can reach on a 6' ladder, or you will be hiring people, and facing future winter problems.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hedge fund K-1 [ 1 Answers ]

When received a K-1 from hedge fund, there is about $20,000 in Line 1, oridinary income(loss) and its detail schedule shows that interest income about $5,000, and $8,000 dividend income( $6000 qaualified income included here) and swap income of $7000. Among $20,000 total ordinary income, can I...

What should I do with hedge? [ 3 Answers ]

When I bought my house there was a hedge on the left side (facing house) of the driveway. The hedge is about 4-5 feet from the property line with 2 trees behind it in a bed of ivy. My neighbor on that side has several shrubs only the property line so its really no issue of using the hedge for...

View more questions Search