Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paulkramer Posts: 181, Reputation: 2

Feb 2, 2013, 07:29 PM
    Should I replace timing chain tensioner? (Honda)
    2002 Acura RSX, K20A3 (base RSX), 162K miles, TCT (timing chain tensioner) replaced twice already, last time about two years ago, significant "messing" with tensioner and timing because I turned the crankshaft too far during replacement.

Lately - with temperatures well into the single digits and when the car has sat for 8 - 12 hours, I get a momentary grinding noise upon cold start.

This noise was completely relieved for 1 month/1K miles with a fresh oil and filter change (Mobil 1 5W20, Mobil 1 filter), so I am convinced it is related to timing chain slack (since the tensioner is oil pressure driven) and not the other common cause of cold-start noise for this engine - starter failure.

The noise is momentary, lasting a few seconds at most. Should I bother to replace the TCT again? I am afraid that without treatment, the patient will jump time and require even more attention/care than a simple TCT replacement.

On the other hand, it is bitterly, bitterly cold here. I don't know if I can do this job myself on account of the weather. Taking it to a shop would not only require more expense, but another opinion, time off from work, etc. etc. etc.

Bottom line - with a few seconds of timing chain slap due to momentarily insufficient oil pressure, how likely is the chain to jump time?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2013, 08:06 PM
    Not too great. Replace the chain and tensioner, once the ambient temperature warms up.

Feb 2, 2013, 08:26 PM
    ?! Chain too! That's a major operation with this car - requires removing the engine!

Would you consider replacing just the tensioner alone - it's a known weak link on this engine.

Thanks.
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2013, 08:16 AM
    If you don't replace the chain, then you need to examine it very carefully. Personally, I would replace it, even if it means lifting the engine. Timing chains stretch (wear) more than many people realize, especially if the oil ever got low (splash lubrication). Since you live up north and have 162,000 miles on it, I would replace it. Were the tensioners OEM parts?

Feb 3, 2013, 08:27 AM
    If the chain is worn enough to need replacing, what about the rest of the engine? Is it worth it to replace the chain and keep the car?

So you don't like the (simpler, cheaper) idea of just replacing the tensioner - first - and seeing if the noise resolves?

Yes, both tensioners were OEM.
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2013, 09:05 AM
    You've replaced the tensioners twice already, which is unusual. It sounds like something else may be part of the problem. Timing chains are relatively new for Hondas. There have been unexpected consequences of going to chains; i.e. complaints of vibration and wear. Talk to several Honda dealers in your area and see what they suggest.

Feb 3, 2013, 09:31 AM
    Thanks. I'll ask.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2006 Honda Civic timing chain cover plate oil leak [ 7 Answers ]

What would cause a timing chain cover plate to leak oil on a 2006 Honda Civic? (Several spots of oil are collecting under the car daily). Took the car to the Honda dealership and they charged $105 to diagnose the oil leak by removing the lower pulley and stated it would cost $700 to repair. What...

How to replace tensioner pulley on my B1500 Ram van [ 1 Answers ]

I don't usually work on this engine in my 2000 Ram van (conversion) with 3.9L V6. But I should be able to handle changing the tensioner pulley, which is starting to whine. The engine compartment is cramped. Can I do this by just slipping off the serpentine belt? Or do I have to remove other...

I changed the timing belt on 92 honda accord put all timing marks where they belong [ 2 Answers ]

I changed the timing belt on my 92 honda accord, put all timing marks where they belong. But the car won't start. It sounds like it wants to start but it does not.

Timing belt tensioner on a honda b16a3 [ 1 Answers ]

When I tighten the bolt in the center of the tensioner there is no tension on the timing belt whatsoever could it be no good thanks!!

B16a2 timing belt tensioner [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know the torque specs on a b16a2 for the timing belt tensioner thanks...

View more questions Search