Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2013, 03:56 PM
    Common Law US
    Can we start a discussion on Common Law US. There is a lot of items that are not cover under Law.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2013, 04:34 PM
    I think discussions - pros and cons - belong on discussion boards, unless this is about something specific.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 2, 2013, 07:28 PM
    Common law marriages, a few states still allow it ?

But the US is not under "common law" while it is studied in first year law school ( still don't know why honestly) US law is by statue and court interpretation of the law. Some arguments on interpretation may be done using common law or even laws of other natoins.

I see little reason to discuss a system not really used in US
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 2, 2013, 09:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    ... But the US is not under "common law" while it is studied in first year law school ( still don't know why honestly) US law is by statue and court interpretation of the law. Some arguments on interpretation may be done using common law or even laws of other natoins.

I see little reason to discuss a system not really used in US
    That's what the Common Law is: "... interpretation ... done using common law or even laws of other natoins." Answering questions not specifically addressed by statute by looking to what other courts have said the common law is. It's very much a part of American jurisprudence.

And if this forum is indeed an international one, even if it weren't used in the U.S. it would be pertinent. Although, as JudyKay Tee said, general discussion of law is not what this forum is about.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Canadian benefits law/ common law with children [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! My name is Rebecca, and I have a 4 year old son. He and I live with my boyfriend, and have since April 1st 2012. His work place says we cannot be put on his benefits for one year. I was informed, however, that because I have a child that my boyfriend cares and provides for, that the one year...

Family law on common law relationships [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have a question about common-law relationship. I have been in this relationship for 15 years and it looks like we are heading in the "splitsville"!! I would like to know what are my rights? i.e. will I be entitled to a spousal support and what about my son, he lived with us for 15 years? ...

Family Law/Common Law Marriage [ 3 Answers ]

My friend is currently living with a woman and her two children. He bought and had placed on her property a mobile home with the intent of living there alone. While he was at work, she along with her children moved into the home. He has been cohabiting with her and supporting them her for a year...

What are the conflicts between customary law and common law ways of land acquisition [ 2 Answers ]

What are the problems that arise because land in the Republic of South Africa can now be freely acquired by the public through both customary Law and common Law?

New Law coming in about common law spouse [ 4 Answers ]

I understand a new law will be coming soon, to protect the common law spouse. Given similar rights as if you were married. Can somebody help!! I would like to know the date when the law will be in place and what this will entail?

View more questions Search