Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LadySharon Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2013, 02:34 PM
    American Exteriors - worth it?
    I just got a quote from an American Exteriors rep.

He said that the basic cost for siding a "square" (10x10) was 1150. Now this is NOT just the material cost - it includes labor, taxes, permits, haul away etc.

He also discounted me down to 700 something a square.

I've been trying to compare vinyl siding prices, but most sites seem to just mention material costs.

And of course there is the fact that not all sidings are the same. A different company may charge less- but what kind of siding would they be using?

I am wondering if AM. Exteriors quote is the norm- or over priced - for the type of siding they offer. I have seen complaints about competitors being cheaper - but no one ever mentions the competitors or the prices in comparison or the type of siding. The type that AM E uses is Alside Prodigy...

How good is that siding and how does AE compare to other companies that install that siding?

I need to get back to the person by early next week so I'd appreciate an answer ASAP.

I had written this up before but apparently lost it.

Thank you for your time
    -Sharon
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 2, 2013, 02:39 PM
    This s an international site, and I did Google this company who serve Arkansas, Utah, etc. I hope we have a volunteer in your area, as we are all volunteers in different time zones. Which city are you? You may have to wait a bit before someone comes on who can help you.

Feb 2, 2013, 02:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    This s an international site, and I did google this company who serve Arkansas, Utah, etc. I hope we have a volunteer in your area, as we are all volunteers in different time zones. Which city are you? You may have to wait a bit before someone comes on who can help you.
    I wasn't expecting an answer back so quickly really. (I was hoping in about 48 hours time window though)

I'm in Colorado- it is 2:42 pm here. I may have mentioned that in the original message but I lost it.

Anyway American exteriors is only in a few states.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2013, 03:50 PM
    Hi Lady Sharon

If you have a written estimate, call at least 2 other siding companies and as them for written quotes.

What you need in the quote besides work being done is the gauge of siding(thickness of vinyl).

Check with Better Business Bureau in your area and they can tell you if any complaints where listed against a company.

Good luck

Chuck

Feb 2, 2013, 04:15 PM
    Thanks for your reply. I checked the bbb already.

Problem is though from want I understand is they need an answer right away. I know you aren't supposed to do that - but this company is one of the big companies out there. So that's why I'm asking here. *you* guys are my 2 other quotes. Besides I'd have to make sure the siding companies I get for comparison quotes use *the same siding* other-words it's pointless. Someone could be lower, but use rinky dink siding.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 2, 2013, 09:05 PM
    "need an answer right away" there is your red flag, run don't walk away from this outfit. Get yourself 3 bids and you spec the siding to be used
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 3, 2013, 04:16 PM
    "need an answer right away"
    Agree with Bob completely.

*you* guys are my 2 other quotes.
    This is a DIY help site.

Call two local siding contractors, but run from this "Offer".
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2013, 07:21 AM
    Giving a time limit is a sales pitch that is being used more and more. Remember that the salesmen work on commission. NO sales ,no money.

I recently had new furnace installed. Got a bid from Sears and was told price was good for 10 days. Received calls up to 2 days before the end time pushing for sale.

Chuck

Feb 4, 2013, 07:31 AM
    Thanks for your replies. I'm going to tell the guy I can't commit right now because I don't know what my car payment would be in the future and I need to know how my taxes are going to come out.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 4, 2013, 05:15 PM
    Suggest you just say you are declining the offer. You are not under any obligation to give a reason. If you give start giving reasons, a good salesman will simply try to talk you into it any way. Just say no.
    Newlook Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2013, 08:09 AM
    Ladysharon
    Alside Prodigy is an excellent siding choice. Keep in mind that any siding contractor can purchase it for use on your home and would be happy to quote you a price based on your preference. Also, be wary of a contractors who are willing to "discount" a square of siding from 1150 to 700. I am in St Louis but here we charge roughly 500.00 per square( labor, material, disposal permits and all) Best of luck!!
    Dan
    New Look Remodelers

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is my Daniel Mink Original American Cowboy watch is worth anything? [ 3 Answers ]

Is my Daniel Mink Original American Cowboy watch worth anything?

How much is a 1925 penny worth with one cent and a wheat on the back worth [ 3 Answers ]

How much is a one cent with a wheat on back is worth from 1925

I am married from an american ,when do I get my green card and american passport [ 1 Answers ]

I am from kingdom of bahrain, married from an american citizen since November 2009. I need to know about my right in getting the american passport or green card. My husband live with me in my country.

How much is a 1930 baseball schedule worth (american league) [ 1 Answers ]

I have a schedule for the american baseball league from 1930 and just wanted to see if its worth some money. Its about 2 1/2'' by 4'' and like a light colored green. Can anyone help me.

Can I gain american citizenship if one parent has British and American Passports? [ 1 Answers ]

Can I gain American citizenship if one parent has British and American Passports? I am a British Citizen and in my early twenties, am I able to still gain dual citizenship? My mother was born in America although she lives in the Uk. I also have an English cousin who married an American in the last...

View more questions Search