Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dcrigger Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2013, 11:49 AM
    Wiring size
    Can you downsize the whip on the hot tub?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Feb 2, 2013, 03:14 PM
    "The" hot tub? Which hot tub is that?

How about you start by telling us something about this project? Then maybe someone can help you.

Feb 2, 2013, 08:47 PM
    220V 60 amp line (#6) to the 60 amp GFI disconnect. Can the whip to the tub be downsized at all? I know the ground is but what about the 8' whip?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 2, 2013, 08:54 PM
    No you may not downsize. 60 amps needs 6 awg Electrical Wire Sizes - What Size Electrical Wire Do I Need Try to answer Stanforty's questions.

Feb 2, 2013, 09:04 PM
    Correct. If the disconnect had a 60A breaker then #6cu is the smallest wire you can use.
    The tub may not require a 60A circuit though.

Tell us more about the tub and we can tell you if you have any other options.

Feb 2, 2013, 09:17 PM
    Just wondering because I seea lot of 220v 50a double ovens with an attached whip and it will be #10 wire.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2013, 04:11 AM
    Whip on an appliance that is installed by the manufacturer is different than a whip that must be installed in the field. The whip on the appliance was present, tested and listed by UL as is.

The "whip" on a hot tub is installed in the field and is nothing more than a continuation of the branch circuit, and must be sized the same as the branch circuit.

Last call, please answer Stan's questions.

Feb 3, 2013, 12:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell View Post
    Whip on an appliance that is installed by the manufacturer is different than a whip that must be installed in the field. The whip on the appliance was present, tested and listed by UL as is.
    The "whip" on a hot tub is installed in the field and is nothing more than a continuation of the branch circuit, and must be

sized the same as the branch circui

Last call, please answer Stan's questions.
    I understand UL listed, but you did not answer the question in theroy. What do you mean by " answer Stans questions?" He needs more info? FOR REAL?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 3, 2013, 01:42 PM
    How is the hot tub labeled, what's its draw

Feb 3, 2013, 02:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    How is the hot tub labeled, whats its draw
    Thanks ballenberg. The jobs already done, I used #6. Don't know the draw, just specified 60 amps. I just though it was an easy question that could be easily explained... seems like if a double oven down sizes the whip because its tested and ul listed then they woiuld list it as the size of the whip. The whip is also just a continueation of the line. Stans not making since with his analogy.
    Thanks anyway guys

Feb 3, 2013, 03:32 PM
    Neither are you! Comparing an oven to a hot tub? How in the world are they similar? Because both are 120/240V loads? Sorry, that doesn't cut it.
    It's only in your last post that you even told us the specs on the tub (that it calls for a 60A circuit). That is what I was asking. You just kept comparing it to an oven with giving us any details about this tub.

Sorry if our mind reading skills were a bit off today. I'll try and do better next time.

Feb 3, 2013, 03:39 PM
    Sorry Stan. I did say 60 amps in a couple of post ago. OK, lets change gears. How about an oven. I am asking why an oven is rated at 50 amps and has a #10 whip?

Feb 3, 2013, 05:13 PM
    I am asking why an oven is rated at 50 amps and has a #10 whip?
    Because an oven whip is not under the jurisdiction of the NEC. It is overseen by UL. As long UL testing considers it safe and adequate it gets a listing.

Feb 3, 2013, 06:33 PM
    Thanks Stan, now I get it. Never thought about it that way. I those cases the oven must never pull more than 30 amps for a long period huh? Same theroy as a 20 amp appliance circuit and using a 15 amp duplex, it's rated at 15amps but by code it's OK.
    Go figure...

Feb 3, 2013, 06:34 PM
    [QUOTE=dcrigger;3387243]Thanks Stan, now I get it. Never thought about it that way. I those cases the oven must never pull more than 30 amps for a long period huh? Same theroy as a 20 amp appliance circuit and using a 15 amp duplex, it's rated at 15amps but by code it's OK.
    Go figure...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Size of wiring trough [ 6 Answers ]

I'm unsure of what size wiring trough to use . I'm coming into the trough from the meter pan with 500 MCM (320 amp single phase service) I'll be coming out to two 200 amp service disconnects and using 3/0 wire. An electrician neighbor of mine recommended a 12" X 12" X 48" trough but the...

Electric wiring size for underground [ 1 Answers ]

I am running underground from a 100 amp panel (in house) to my new garage approx 150 feet away. What size wire (would 10/3 work?) would work if I needed 220v as well as 110 lights and 110 v outlets ?

Range wiring - breaker and conductor size [ 4 Answers ]

This weekend I will be wiring a 120/240v 8,800 watt range (oven with 4 burners on top). My questions concern wire and breaker size. I've asked about this before and I still cannot determine the best answer. I understand that under the NEC, the minimum sized circuit for a range is 40 amp, using...

HVAC Wiring Size for Geothermal units [ 6 Answers ]

I've found a number of these type of questions in here and I thought I'd post my own, with what I *think* my solution is. I have two geothermal units The first Geo unit has this... Min CKT Ampacity = 25.6 A Max HACR = 35 A The second unit has this... Min CKT Ampacity = 29.6 A

Compatibilities between awg wiring, breaker amp size, outlet amp size [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. Is there a resource out there, prefereably on the web, that outlines the compatibilities between awg wiring, the breaker amp size, outlet amp size, how many recepticles/outlets can be on x amp outlet, etc? For example, it would be nice to see something that shows: you can use a 20 amp...

View more questions Search