Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    richardleach63 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2013, 11:17 AM
    S Puppy is 4-5 weeks old.
    We received her from some kids. Now the puppy is not eating or drinking, now she is vomiting and has liquid bowel movement. Should we be worried?
    I know that babies sleep a lot. She is sleeping more than usual. Should I try to force liquids down her? Or use a IV solution, so she won't dehidrate ? Please help.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Feb 1, 2013, 11:48 AM
    Should you be worried? Nah... Dogs always do this...

Seriously... this dog needs to see a vet NOW or it is likely to die.

It won't eat or drink and has liquid poop and is vomiting... should I be worried...
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Feb 2, 2013, 01:18 PM
    The pup needs a vet now. At her age she can go downhill in no time please go now to the vet. Tell the vet the age of the pup as well as she was taken from her mom to early. Ask the vet on advice on raising her.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2013, 09:20 AM
    NEVER "force" food/liquid down a dog's throat. Never!
    samcreed Posts: 132, Reputation: 18
    -

Feb 3, 2013, 12:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    NEVER "force" food/liquid down a dog's throat. Never!
    My terrior ate green ball rat poisen about 10 years ago. When I noticed it gone, I called the Vet. The vet said the stomach would take about 4 hours to start digesting the poisen. He told me to buy a rubber ear syringe, a bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide, and some white bread. He said forceably give the dog 1/2 cup of Hyd. Per. With the syringe through the mouth, then force down some light bread. Let her vomit. Then, do it again. Keep it up until the vomit is clear.
    I did it, and it's the first time my dog tried to bite me. But, the Vet said if I didn't force it, it would probably die from this high-powered rat poisen.
    This is one instance that "NEVER" is not true!
    samcreed Posts: 132, Reputation: 18
    -

Feb 3, 2013, 12:24 PM
    I agree with your other answers of take the puppy to a Vet now. Please. Good luck and don't wait.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Feb 3, 2013, 12:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by samcreed View Post
    My terrior ate green ball rat poisen about 10 years ago. When I noticed it gone, I called the Vet. The vet said the stomach would take about 4 hours to start digesting the poisen. He told me to buy a rubber ear syringe, a bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide, and some white bread. He said forceably give the dog 1/2 cup of Hyd. Per. with the syringe through the mouth, then force down some light bread. Let her vomit. Then, do it again. Keep it up until the vomit is clear.
    I did it, and it's the first time my dog tried to bite me. But, the Vet said if I didn't force it, it would probaly die from this high-powered rat poisen.
    This is one instance that "NEVER" is not true!
    You know, I don't really want to nit-pick but since you did...

What you described is a rare occurrence and one that was necessary to get the dog to vomit in order to try to save it's life... So yes, of course you needed to force it under the vets instructions.

Clearly, what Judy was referencing was what the body of this question was about... trying to get the dog to eat and drink while it is obviously having issues. Forcing food or liquid into a sick and vomiting dog is not the answer... it NEVER is the answer... and this is what Judy meant when she said NEVER force feed a dog.

So although I understand that you wanted to point out how we should never say never and there are things that could change circumstances, I think it was incorrect of you to call Judy out on her comment when it was clear what she was saying.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

27 weeks pregnant [ 1 Answers ]

I'm 27 weeks pregnant with cramping and diarrhea. I am in a lot of pain what could this be. Is it labor?

Salary person gets 2 weeks vac pay they work 52 weeks can they collect 2 weeks vac pay [ 1 Answers ]

Entitled to 2 weeks vac pay. Vac not taken employee works 52 weeks. Can they get paid For the 2 weeks they didn't take?

Period 3 weeks [ 1 Answers ]

My periods are very irregular I can go 3-6 months without having a period and when it does decide to come it last only 5-7 days. Anyway I got my period this month (May 1st) and it was just spotting at first and it went away 2 days later. Basically, I've been menstruating for about 3 1/2 weeks, is...

Puppy 12 weeks. Won't play--dachshund [ 1 Answers ]

We just got a new mini dachshund. He's about 12 weeks, now. He doesn't seem to want to get out of bed. He will eat and he poops and pees all right but he doesn't seem to want to get out of his bed, play, etc. He is also nervous; shakes all the time. I was worried that he might be sick,...

View more questions Search