Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DisneyWorld Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2007, 08:28 PM
    Accounting.journal entry
    I need to make the following journal entry, how would I go about doing it?
    Thanks!

My company borrowed cash from a bank, 500,000 with an interest rate of 6% not due in 4 years.
    Fairjer Posts: 12, Reputation: 4

Mar 17, 2007, 09:19 PM
    What cash account did you deposit the money into at the bank?
    What kind of accounting software are you using?

Without knowing this. In general terms you are going to DEBIT an asset or cash account or whatever account you are going to use this 500,000 for, which as an example would be your Operating Cash account or an interest bearing cash account such as savings.

The Credit is going to be a long term liability account such as "Notes Payable" or similar.

I would suggest also tracking the interest paid on this loan through a separate liability account such as "Interest on Long term Loans," once you begin making monthly installments on the loan.

Mar 17, 2007, 09:29 PM
    Thank you so much! It's for a class problem and I am so clueless on all of this!! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Fairjer
    What cash account did you deposit the money into at the bank?
    What kind of accounting software are you using?

Without knowing this. In general terms you are going to DEBIT an asset or cash account or whatever account you are going to use this 500,000 for, which as an example would be your Operating Cash account or an interest bearing cash account such as savings.

The Credit is going to be a long term liability account such as "Notes Payable" or similar.

I would suggest also tracking the interest paid on this loan through a separate liability account such as "Interest on Long term Loans," once you begin making monthly installments on the loan.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Mar 17, 2007, 09:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyWorld
    thank you so much!! It's for a class problem and I am so clueless on all of this!!! :)
    Disney,

As Fairjer said, you Debit Cash for 500,000

Why? Because your company is receiving the asset.

You need an offsetting credit entry, which is to notes payable, since you OWE this 500,000 to them.

Dr. Cash 500,000
    Cr. Notes Payable 500,000

Mar 17, 2007, 09:33 PM
    Thank you so much! I think I understand the basics, but what threw me off was the notes payable part. 4 problems down and 9 left, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainForest
    Disney,

As Fairjer said, you Debit Cash for 500,000

Why? because your company is receiving the asset.

You need an offsetting credit entry, which is to notes payable, since you OWE this 500,000 to them.

Dr. Cash 500,000
    Cr. Notes Payable 500,000
    wendaline blake Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2009, 04:33 PM
    I need to make the following journal entry how would I go about doing it . Thanks.
    Sold merchandise for $450 cash , cost $200

Feb 25, 2009, 04:41 PM
    I need to make the following journal entry how would I go about doing it . Thanks.
    Sold merchandise for $450 cash , cost $200
    pready Posts: 3,197, Reputation: 207
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2009, 05:13 PM

Debit Cash for 450 (Amount received)
    Credit Sales Revenue for 450

Debit COGS for 200 (cost of inventory)
    Credit Inventory for 200

Feb 25, 2009, 05:43 PM
    I need to know what journal entry it is , how would I go about doing it, thanks
    Purchase merchandise on credit from camp $2,300
    pready Posts: 3,197, Reputation: 207
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 10:13 AM

For Merchandise on credit the journal entry is:
    Debit Inventory for the amount of 2,300
    Credit Accounts Payable for 2,300

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Journal Entry [ 1 Answers ]

issued a check to a person in the amount of $240 for 25 shares of $10 par value common stock. The stock will be held as treasury stock. What is the journal entry?

Job Cost Accounting Journal entry [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to fiquire out how to journalize an entry. Here is the scenario: 1) Purchase Materials for a job $1000 And the second scenario: 1) Received downpayment from a client for $4000 for a job Both entries were captured in another quickbooks account and need to be brought over to the...

Journal entry [ 3 Answers ]

How do I record the following entry: Owner invested $32,000 cash and equipment valued at $14,000 in the business. What accounts should I use? Help please!

Journal Entry help please! [ 1 Answers ]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 1. Issued 10, 000 shares of capital stock in exchange for $150,000 cash 2. Purchased land and a building for a total price of $175,000. The land was assigned a value of $75,000, with the balance assigned to the...

Journal entry [ 1 Answers ]

I need help making this journal entry. Made a down payment of 11,196.00 on 12/21/05 for liability insurance coverage from 1/1/06-1/1/07. Then making monthly payments of 5306.00 for 9 months. Do I treat this as a prepaid? Thanks! Let

View more questions Search