Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alister Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2013, 02:04 AM
    Light bulbs on chandelier exploding as we switch on lights
    As soon as we switch on the lights (chandeliers) one of the lights on it are exploding but never seems to be from the same light it does it with all our chandeliers around the house but also seems to be an intermittent problem I haven't noticed any brighter or dimmer than others any ideas?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2013, 06:07 AM
    If abnormal voltage is causing this, it would most likely involve a shared neutral for two circuits. An electrician can be hired to look at the wiring and determine if a shared neutral is being used, and then look for a loose connection.

A loose or open shared neutral will cause the 120 volts on two circuits to vary greatly, for example ,can read 90 volts on one circuit 150 volts on the other.

If this is that intermittent, and a problem cannot be found visually, then a power recording my be needed to measure and record the voltage, to confirm or deny a high voltage issue.

The voltage could be fluctating but not enough to cause the lights to be visible dimming or brightening.

What type of lamps are failing?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I replaced pull switch lights with recess but the wall switch won't turn off the light [ 2 Answers ]

I added lights and outlets to my basement and all of the outlets work fine. Before I started the switch on the wall controlled one light and all of the others had pull strings. I've tried everything but the switch will not turn off the remaining three lights. What did I do wrong... how do I fix it?...

My fluorescent ceiling light just flickers when I turn on switch. Bought new bulbs, t [ 2 Answers ]

Floursecent ceiling light in kitchen just flickers when I turn on the switch. Thought it was the bulbs, bought new bulbs and they don't work either. What is the problem? I can't see in my kitchen!

Replaced chandelier, light stays on switch does not work [ 1 Answers ]

I replaced a chandelier. Ceiling box had 3 black wires tied together, 3 white wires tied together, one red wire capped, and two ground copper wires tied together. The new light fixture had one white and one black wire. I connected the four black wires together and capped, the four white wires...

Light bulbs burned out very shortly after installing 2 new lights [ 5 Answers ]

Please help. We installed a new halogen ceiling light in our bathroom that had 4 bulbs on a 32" long fixture. Within the first day or so, both of the bulbs on each END of the fixture burned out. We didn't like the halogen lighting as it didn't illuminate the bathroom well at all, so the other...

View more questions Search