Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 31, 2013, 07:17 PM
    So how is ammo pricing and availability in your area going?
    It seems the recent grab for guns and ammo is gripping the nation and causing the casual shooter to have to make different plans. Ammo availability is getting scarce in many areas and many that do have it (at gun shows) are gouging heavily.

I have seen .223 rise from what used to be about $.33 to $.35 a round way up to $.90 a round. Is it just me and my area or are any of you noticing that ammo shelves are empty ?
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Jan 31, 2013, 07:21 PM
    There is a local outdoor outlet in my area and their selection of not only ammo but weapons has seriously deplieted due to this. I am in a recent search for a .380 for my wife and I went to this store and oh my god, empty. At one time this store had hundreds, maybe thousands of guns. When I went there, there were literally like 50-100 guns (all small cailber). Shelves cleaned right out, gun racks empty, pistol cases bare... mad house I tell you.

I have recently went shooting as well and bought a meager 150 rounds to shoot and the price was the same as it always has been. Granted it was for my 9mm pistol.
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 31, 2013, 07:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ITstudent2006 View Post
    There is a local outdoor outlet in my area and their selection of not only ammo but weapons has seriously deplieted due to this. I am in a recent search for a .380 for my wife and I went to this store and oh my god, empty. At one time this store had hundreds, maybe thousands of guns. When I went there, there were literally like 50-100 guns (all small cailber). Shelves cleaned right out, gun racks empty, pistol cases bare... mad house I tell ya.

I have recently went shooting as well and bought a meager 150 rounds to shoot and the price was the same as it always has been. Granted it was for my 9mm pistol.
    Good thing you didn't decide to shoot something cheap like 22 cal. The price on it has been going up also. I saw it go from $26 for a box of 500 rounds to $90 at some places. Just shooting to keep your aim and have a little fun is starting to get expensive. Im hearing that it may last until Aug to get straightened out.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Jan 31, 2013, 07:32 PM
    I am guessing you read the same CNN article I did? There was a comment on their by an individual that made more sense than anything I think I hae ever read on Cnn.com.

I don't remember it verbadum but it was along the lines of "Obama is the best salesman for guns". It went on to explain how the demand has gotten out of control since his election (even before Sandy Hook). Gun manufacturers are at an all time high and we have sold more guns, ammo, accessories in the last 6 months than we have the past 10 years total. It was a pretty interesting comment and really gets you to thinking.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2013, 07:34 PM
    In the Atlanta area, easy to buy 22mag, 17HMR, some basic 38, 45-70, 7mm mauser, even weird like 22 hornet, 257 Roberts. Very limited 22LR anywhere. Try www.outdoortrader.com -I use this in GA all the time. Plenty of shotgun, I bought 12 GA rifled slug, 00 buck, #6 and #4 and 20GA, 0 buck and #4 last night at a local place, very reasonable. 7.62X39 is getting a bit hard to find, I just bought 160 (8boxes) Tula for $70 from someone on ODT. 7.62 X 54R is still $5.99 for 15. Need any 8MM mauser, I've got 280 rounds, brass case, lead with copper FMJ not currently being used? Brian
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 31, 2013, 07:35 PM
    Wait for the ban if they move on it. That is sure to have people going even crazier. Also hearing murmers of a ammo tax. I believe that is part of what is driving this whole thing at the moment.
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 31, 2013, 07:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    Link not working.
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 31, 2013, 07:44 PM
    Need any 8MM mauser, I've got 280 rounds, brass case, lead with copper FMJ not currently being used? Brian
    Ask and you shall receive. These are good people.

8mm Mauser

This is 8mm Mauser Persian (pre Iran) 8x57 196gr full metal jacket ammunition. This ammo has a brass casing and copper jacketed lead core bullet (projectile does not attract a magnet.) Persian writing on headstamp. It has a Berdan primer and is corrosive. Comes loose packed in a 1000rd case. 1930's production and hangfires/duds are to be expected! Ships via Fedex Ground.

8mm Mauser Persian surplus 196gr FMJ, 1000rd case.

$279.90
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jan 31, 2013, 07:45 PM
    It's getting out of hand everywhere.

I am going to change your discussion just a little bit... I haven't bought ammo in a while as I am fairly stocked up but I have noticed a few things...

I often look at Buds Gun Shop online for general prices on things as their prices seem to reflect prices in my area relatively closely. I have noticed that they recently started penny auctions for some of their inventory. I was sickened when I saw a Century Arms Romanian WASR-10 selling at auction for over $1300... really? This is normally a $450 to $500 rifle. And then the thought of how much they made on that considering that you need to pay for each bid on those penny auctions.

Another thing I noticed... I get emails from various companies about sales and such. 2 weeks ago I got a mail from Cheaper Than Dirt that blasted me with "We Have High Capacity Magazines In Stock!"... so for giggles, I went to their website. Here is what I saw:
    Korean AK Mags selling for $80
    Tapco plastic mags selling for $40 (I paid $11 for mine In August)
    AR Beta mags selling for $699 (they sold for $169 during the summer)
    Talk about gouging...

Now, as I write this, I went back to the site and looked it over again. I see that prices have come back down on some things but not to where they were before.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2013, 07:52 PM
    Major dealers in my area of PA have had long lines for gun purchases and scarce ammo selection for a couple of years actually, in my observations. Seemed to be about the same two weeks ago when I was in one of the stores. But -just about the same-- is still high volume in this region. It's take a number and wait for about 45 minutes or an hour (probably longer now) in a Cabelas to get a clerk to bring a weapon for your inspection, but that was more in the region of Phila. Which is about 2 hours from me, but the closest Cabelas for me. There are few clerks to assist with finding ammo so it takes a lot of searching on your own and when you can't find what you want, you don't know if you missed it or they are out of it, and cornering one of the few clerks that aren't working behind the counter handling the number system gun purchases, is almost as bad as taking a number for weapons. For both weapons and ammo, if you find it, you buy it, or you take a chance on not getting it or paying even more by the time you do find it elsewhere.
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 31, 2013, 07:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    It's getting out of hand everywhere.

I am going to change your discussion just a little bit....I haven't bought ammo in a while as I am fairly stocked up but I have noticed a few things....

I often look at Buds Gun Shop online for general prices on things as their prices seem to reflect prices in my area relatively closely. I have noticed that they recently started penny auctions for some of their inventory. I was sickened when I saw a Century Arms Romanian WASR-10 selling at auction for over $1300...really? This is normally a $450 to $500 rifle. And then the thought of how much they made on that considering that you need to pay for each bid on those penny auctions.

Another thing I noticed....I get emails from various companies about sales and such. 2 weeks ago I got a mail from Cheaper Than Dirt that blasted me with "We Have High Capacity Magazines In Stock!"....so for giggles, I went to their website. Here is what I saw:
    Korean AK Mags selling for $80
    Tapco plastic mags selling for $40 (I paid $11 for mine In August)
    AR Beta mags selling for $699 (they sold for $169 during the summer)
    Talk about gouging...

Now, as I write this, I went back to the site and looked it over again. I see that prices have come back down on some things but not to where they were before.

Im seeing the same. The AR/AK stuff is way out of line at the moment. Most has doubled or more.

P.S. Its fine to change the subject. At least it is positive gun talk and discussion rather then what the news has been hitting us with.
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2013, 09:42 PM
    Anybody have leftover 10/22 parts from a build? Need receiver, trigger assy and bolt
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 4, 2013, 05:56 AM
    Anybody have leftover 10/22 parts from a build? Need receiver, trigger assy and bolt
    Might be better off selling what you have and buying another on. The receiver has to run through a FFL and it drives the price up for you.
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2013, 06:03 AM
    [QUOTE=califdadof3;3387494]Might be better off selling what you have and buying another on. The receiver has to run through a FFL and it drives the price up for you.

True but FTF sales don't and I have a place that does them free. Just picked up a 1933 8mm turtle Mauser and 300 rounds of ammo for $125, just needed a firing pin-$13
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 4, 2013, 06:16 AM
    [QUOTE=ma0641;3387499]
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Might be better off selling what you have and buying another on. The reciever has to run through a FFL and it drives the price up for you.

True but FTF sales don't and I have a place that does them free. Just picked up a 1933 8mm turtle Mauser and 300 rounds of ammo for $125, just needed a firing pin-$13
    Nice!!

Sounds like you have it pretty good. Out here FFL fees run between $25 to $35 and on top of that $10 back ground check plus you add shipping and it can add a lot to the cost.
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2013, 08:57 AM
    [QUOTE=califdadof3;3387520]

Nice !!!!!!

Sounds like you have it pretty good. Out here FFL fees run between $25 to $35 and on top of that $10 back ground check plus you add shipping and it can add alot to the cost.
    Intuitive typing "turtle" mauser-Turkish! If you have a CCW do not need a background check in GA. There is site in GA called "the Outdoor Trader" . Private sales, similar to Gun Broker but without fees. All I do is show pictured ID or CCW , pay and away you go.
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 4, 2013, 11:01 AM
    [QUOTE=ma0641;3387647]
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post

Intuitive typing "turtle" mauser-Turkish!! If you have a CCW do not need a background check in GA. There is site in GA called "the Outdoor Trader" . Private sales, similar to Gun Broker but without fees. All I do is show pictured ID or CCW , pay and away you go.
    Here is another. Its U.S. wide. You can choose your state and local area.

ARMSLIST - Gun Classifieds

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have had pain in my hand area mostly below the thunb area or the pad area . [ 1 Answers ]

It is the area in which is mostly used when doing a pushup or pushing away as support.

Q: What is the difference between carpet area, buildup area and super buildup area? [ 0 Answers ]

What is the difference between carpet area, buildup area and super buildup area?

Ammo alert [ 24 Answers ]

For those that may need self defense ammo in .40 there is a great sale going on. Its DRT Ammo. And the price is really good. Gander Mountain® > DRT TerminalShock .40 SW FHP 105gr 50-count - Hunting > Shooting Gear : Firearms, Ammunition, Black Powder, Firearm Accessories

View more questions Search