Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LunarMistress Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2013, 05:06 PM
    How do I know if I have to file a CA state tax return?
    How do I know if I have to file a CA state tax return?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 31, 2013, 06:40 PM
    You are required to file a California tax return if you either worked or lived in the state of California at some time in 2012.
    LunarMistress Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2013, 09:41 PM
    Even if my state income tax was only $7?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 31, 2013, 09:50 PM
    If that is how much your state tax liability is, then, yes.

If you do not file, I sincerely doubt the California Franchise Tax Board will come looking for you, but you DO have a legal requirement to file.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 31, 2013, 10:28 PM
    For CA filing requirement read this: https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2012_Ca...emptions.shtml

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I need to file for State Tax return? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I am a student on an F-1 visa from india. I earned around $3000 in the 2004 calendar year. I will file for my Federal Tax returns, but do I need to file for my State tax too? I live in New York City, but my income was under the $7500 quota for a single individual. It is my...

Do I need to file state tax return [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I worked in White Plains till 15 Feb, 2009 and then returned to my home country. During that period, I was living in Connecticut. I have already filed for Federal Tax return. I need to know if I need to file for state tax return. During this period, my income was less than $5000. Please...

When do you need to file a state tax return? [ 4 Answers ]

I am a single mother in Florida and, it seems, that single parents are the prime targets for tax preparers!. so, I've decided to save a buck (in this case, 500 of them) and do it myself. My question is simply this: WHEN do I have to file a state return? Thanks, eve

Do I need to file a state tax return for CA? [ 2 Answers ]

I worked in CA for half the year and in NY for the other half of the year, and earned $1668 in CA. do I need to file a state tax return for CA? On my tax forms would I consider myself a resident of NY or CA? I've been living in NY for 9 months, but I previously lived in CA for 4 years (during...

Do I file a state tax return? [ 1 Answers ]

I received a 1099-G from the New Mexico Department of Workforce Solutions because I received unemployment benefits in 2007. This was the only form of income I received last year. There were no state income taxes withheld so my question is, do I need to file a state tax return? I'm sure the...

View more questions Search