Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    puneet190 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2013, 03:26 PM
    Connecting load
    If a motor of 2.2 Kw which is running 24 hrs a day is replaced with 1.1 kwperforming same job of transferring the material through a screw conveyor, what will be the saving in terms of connecting load.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jan 31, 2013, 04:21 PM
    Without knowing the kWh rates, and the actual load on the motor, it is impossible to say.
    If the motor can do the same job you're saving 1100 watts for 24 hours. Thing is, if the 2.2kW motor was doing this job before it was most likely not working at full load.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2013, 06:15 AM
    Stan makes a good point, but assuming both motors are drawing nameplate watts, the difference is 1.1kW, and one hour is 1.1 kiloWatt-hour.

Even if the 2.2kW motor was not running at full load, the difference would be negligible.

Discover what you pay for energy for kWh times 1.1 kWh, and there is your cost of energy per hour.

Assuming $0.15 cents per kWh, the cost per hour would be $0.165, one full day would save $3.96.
    puneet190 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2013, 01:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell View Post
    Stan makes a good point, but assuming both motors are drawing nameplate watts, the difference is 1.1kW, and one hour is 1.1 kiloWatt-hour.

Even if the 2.2kW motor was not running at full load, the difference would be negligible.

Discover what you pay for energy for kWh times 1.1 kWh, and there is your cost of energy per hour.

Assuming $0.15 cents per kWh, the cost per hour would be $0.165, one full day would save $3.96.
    I know that but what's the concept of connecting load , suppose if I place a motor with 10 kw there instead of 2.2 kw then it will be drawing the same current then will it be wise to use 10 kw motor if motor buying cost is negligible.?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2013, 03:34 AM
    If you knew that why did you ask? And now you ask about a 10 kW motor, as if we were suppose to know what you meant?

A 10kW motor will not draw the same lower current of a 2 kw motor.

How do you come up with a 10 kw motor will draw the same as a 2?

Now your not making any sense.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to know the amount of load a 20amp breaker can take when connecting to 208v? [ 7 Answers ]

I in the process of installing lights. These Light uses 208v at 1.35 amps each with a 250w load, how many lights can I install onto a 20amp beakers that is connected to 208v?

I have read that a circuit can drive a 7 ampere load.how mny watts?=7A load. [ 4 Answers ]

What appliances in our home work on 7A.) how to relate the ampere to watt conversion(eg:a bulb of 15 w need how many amp of current?

Kenmore elite front load takes a long time to go through the 2nd load [ 0 Answers ]

My kenmore elite front load goes through the various cycles with the 1st load fine but it takes a very long time (hours) to go through the 2nd load with the same settings as the 1st.

Kenmore front load washer won't agitate/spin if load too heavy [ 2 Answers ]

My Kenmore front loading washer, model 417.43042200, won't agitate or spin to complete the cycle if the load is too heavy, such as 5 bath towels. If I take off the back and help turn the drum in the agitate or spin mode it will agitate/spin and complete the cycle. The pump still drains the tub. If...

277/480 load after transformer = to 120/208 load feed [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 800 amp 120/208 3P stand up section that feeds a step up 90kva transformer and the loads are nearly equal? I thought that after the transformer the load of 277/480 would be drawing less. We have about 500 amps per phase being drawn in front of the transformer and the load at the sub...

View more questions Search