Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mary Klehr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2013, 09:16 PM
    Removing my husbands name from house title
    My husband & I own a property together and we have decided to separate.
    We have come to an amicable agreement of the division of our assets.
    I will take ownership of the house which will be free of any incumbent .
    The title of the property is in joint names, how do I remove my husbands name from the title? And what costs would be involved? I am also wondering if I would have to pay stamp duty again on the property ?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jan 30, 2013, 09:23 PM
    Your husband must sign a deed that lists himself as seller and you as buyer. Then the deed must be recorded. I suggest that you have this handled by a title company or attorney rather than doing it yourself. It shouldn't be expensive and you'll know that it was done properly. There shouldn't be any transfer fees for this type of deed so the only costs will be the cost of recording the document and any fee charged by the title company or attorney.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 31, 2013, 05:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaB4657 View Post
    ...There shouldn't be any transfer fees for this type of deed ...
    I suspect this depends on the law of the particular state or country involved.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 1, 2013, 06:33 AM
    Agree, it is a transfer just like any deed, he has to do it, for you
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 1, 2013, 06:47 AM
    Stamp duty/tax or any of the various other terms for a % charged on the dollar amount that changed hands shouldn't be charged. That's aside from any filing or recording fees.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2013, 02:25 PM
    He signs a quit claim deed over to you so you are the sole owner of the property provided that there is no mortgage involved. If there is a mortgage involved then this won't work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I transfer my house title deed into my ex husbands name? [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I have divorced recently and the house is in both our names. I need to transfer it into his name ony. How do I go about this?

If my husbands name is not on the house title can I kick him out? [ 2 Answers ]

My father is on the house title with me. My husband has been having violent episodes. I have a young daughter. Can I legally kick him out if his name is not on the house title?

Removing husbands name from deed to house [ 2 Answers ]

I have refinanced my condo in my name only and now need to remove ex's name from the deed. How do I do this

Removing a name from house title [ 3 Answers ]

I Would Like To Know How I Can Remove A Name From The Title Of My Home... when My Husband Passed Away I, The Wife Had Controlling Interest In The House And My Two Sons Were Also On The Title... by The Way We Live In Louisiana... community Property State... I Would Like To Remove One Of My Sons That...

House Title in husbands name, Florida [ 6 Answers ]

Married 11 yrs. In Florida, how is the house "distributed" between us in a divorce? He had the house 5 yrs before we were married. Only his name is on the title. Florida is "equitable distribution" state. It is paid for, with exception of Home Equity Loan of $30K. Do I have any rights...

View more questions Search