Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 30, 2013, 06:34 PM
    Directtv - Antennae Power Supply "Fried"
    This place is scary.

Sunday after a small winter storm passed by, Power in two receptacles in my office, lighting and receptacles in a spare bedroom and one receptacle in the master bedroom (a common wall) all failed. Of course the TV signals went out.

I started looking for a loose Neutral in my office. What I found using a NC stick was voltage to all slots in the receptacles. However, using a meter there was 0 (zero) volts.

When I got the receptacle out, I had 120 Vac between Neutral and ground and 120 Vac between Hot and ground. I verified that there was 0 (zero) volts between Neutral and Hot. My thinking is that there was zero volts because it was the same phase.

Once I opened the Neutral connection and then re-installed Neutral, all of the lights and receptacles worked fine.

Directv was out on Tuesday and said that the power control box for the satellite dishes had fried. He replaced the box. Now I'm curious as to what happened inside that box to cause me a Neutral failure in 3 different rooms?

Any ideas?
    shuntripper Posts: 180, Reputation: 8

Jan 30, 2013, 06:47 PM
    Poorly made up connection possibly, loose and waiting for whatever would break the camel's back and cause the failure.

What concerns me a little is that when you lost the neutral you read 0 volts between neutral and hot, which after confirming that both read 120 volts to ground, does indeed indicate they are the same phase.
    This may indicate that you have two circuit breakers of the same phase sharing a neutral, which could be the proximate cause for your loss of the neutral connection, namely an overloaded neutral with a less than optimal connection in it.

And also guessing that you found the location of the problem because you read 0 voltage between neutral and ground and between hot and neutral at that receptacle

Jan 30, 2013, 08:55 PM
    "and also guessing that you found the location of the problem because you read 0 voltage between neutral and ground and between hot and neutral at that receptacle"

The voltages were 120 between Neutral and Ground. 120 between Hot and Ground. 0 between Neutral and Hot.

Now that you mention it, the breaker was a split 15 amp breaker. I had some standard 15 Amp breakers so I replaced the split breaker with 2 standard sized breakers.

However, changing the breakers did not correct the failure. The failure went away when I removed the Neutral from the receptacle and then re-connected it.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2013, 03:42 AM
    The arcing at the loose connection could have created a high voltage transient spike, or if this is a shared neutral, could have imposed abnormal voltage to the power supply.

This power supply should be protected by a surge protector, providing the receptacle is grounded properly, as surge protectors only work if grounded.

Jan 31, 2013, 06:30 AM
    TK,

Are you talking about a whole home surge protector on the main service panel or a surge protector on the individual circuit?

When I get home this evening I'll verify that each branch circuit has its own Neutral. It's a rat's nest (no offense to the rats) of wiring in the box.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2013, 07:07 AM
    Surge protection should be done at three levels, typical for commercial and industrial, Main, Distribution, and branch circuit or at point of use.

In residential, 2 level is adequate, at Main Panel, and at point of use.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Collector's Guild LTD, NY- "original etching" "Pour Roby" Picasso "Star Scene" J Moro [ 0 Answers ]

Both pictures have stickers on the back stating with a "certification seal" that the Picasso is a original etching and the Joan Miro is a lithograph. Moro looks real to me but I can't take the frames off to feel if the paint is real or maybe I don't know what a lithograph should feel like just a...

How can I tell if my Whirlpool Duet Dryer "user interface" is fried? [ 1 Answers ]

I need help diagnosing and/or confirming the problem with my Whirlpool Duet dryer (model GGW9200LW2) and would appreciate your advice. The light comes on when you open the dryer door (indicating power to the unit), but the electronic control system doesn't show anything - no error codes, nothing,...

"Form" placed in "Microsoft Access" can be accessed from a "Button" in "VB.Net" App [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Actually, I'm not very well in programming but a task is assigned to me related to .Net. Basically, there is a database in Microsoft Access. I have made forms in it which are based on queries to retrieve required results. I have also made graph of it. Now, I have to merge this...

Furnace blower stuck "on",capacitor fried! [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Coleman home furnace with a white-rodgers circuit board,model 50a50-241.On occasion the blower would not turn off with the t-stat.I would lighly hit the side of the furnace and the blower would go off.Now the blower was stuck on and I found the start capacitor burnt badly and the circuit...

Mobo fried along with power supply? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm troubleshooting a friends system He said he heard a pop and then smelled something burning Computer wouldn't start after that I hooked my power supply to his mobo and only the led light on the mobo turns on... Off/on don't work

View more questions Search