Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MFarley Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2005, 02:11 PM
    Cat is "pissing" off Husband
    We have been having a problem with our cat. He is part Manx and is 11 years old. We have had him and his brother both since birth. Brunny (the problem cat) is urinating around the house. He tends to urinate in one room in particular, but if a piece of clothing or a piece of paper is left on the floor anywhere in the house, he will urinate on it too. (It is good that it makes my children pick up their stuff or the cat will pee on it) But my husband is getting very tired of it and is at the point of putting the cat down. I can't bear to do that.
    We have had him into the vet and he has been looked at. They did a few tests, but I don't know how extensive. (We can't afford a lot of the lab tests and x-rays!) The vet came to no conclusion.
    We have five large boxes for both cats for litter and he uses them - sometimes. I don't understand how a urinary tract infection could cause them to urinated on the carpet sometimes and in the litter box other times? As well, he urinates on any article of clothing left on the floor in our house? Or any piece of paper left on the floor? We have had small periods (1 week to 3 weeks or even one month) when he has not done this. It seems to be an intentional exercise.
    He is the agresser with his brother. Even though he is smaller, he tends to attack his brother (usually only late at night) Fighting for unknown reasons. His brother cowards and tries to avoid the attacks.
    Late in the evenings he can also be heard meowing downstairs for some reason?
    Any suggestion on what to do - with limited budget for extensive lab testing?
    Please help me to keep my cat alive!!
    koriani Posts: 132, Reputation: 8

Jan 23, 2005, 06:25 AM
    Hello,

Unfortunately, at his age, there are several possibilities. 95% of the time, inappropriate urination is caused by urinary infection. Find out if the vet did a urinalysis. If not, I'd start there. It's a very simple test and all they need do is catch a sample, spin it down, and view it under a microscope. They would also probably do a pH test.

As to the on again/off again urinating in the litter box, that is probably because he WANTS to urinate there. If he has a UTI, though, he associates the pain of urinating with the litter box and so tries to go other places hoping the pain will not be there. If this goes on too long, it might become a habit for him.

Be very sure he doesn't have crystals in his bladder! They are extremely painful and can cause death if they become lodged in the urethra. We just had a cat die yesterday because he couldn't pee for several days and the toxins backed up in his system causing his kidneys to shut down. Basically, he became poisoned. I'm not trying to scare you, but I can't stress enough the importance of making sure there are no crystals!

People tend to think just because a cat is urinating inappropriately it's a 'behavioral' issue and ignore it.

Kidney failure is a possibility at his age as well.

Even if Brunny wasn't showing visible signs of problems, at his age, regular labwork (once a year if all is okay) will help you catch problems before they get out of hand. Cats are very stoic and don't let on that there is a problem until it is almost too late.

I start having occasional labwork checked on my cats when they turn 8 years old.

Has there been a change of litter or food recently? Are there stray cats hanging around outside? Is there another male cat spraying the outside of your house? Has someone moved in or out? Died? Has there been some incident that upset/scared Brunny?

I highly recommend a good quality food such as Iams Hairball or Hill's Science Diet. Rule of thumb: The cheaper the food, the worse it is for your cat. Also, don't switch brands, or even flavors, of food very often. Cat's have very delicate digestive/urinary systems and don't take well to food changes of any kind.

Also, most cats don't like scented litter and prefer the scoopable kind. I had a cat who wouldn't use a covered litter box too.

Next to having a urinalysis and/or labwork, my biggest suggestion is that you purchase a Feliway Comfort Zone plug-in! They work miracles! Feliway is made to mimic the phermones that cats naturally produce in their facial glands. It helps them feel calm, happy, and less stressed. If Brunny is suffering some emotional imbalance, Feliway could help immensely. I've used it successfully in my own home.

Another thing to help emotional/behavioral issues is Rescue Remedy. It's an herbal/homeopathic remedy which should be given orally (2 - 3 drops on the tongue once daily or placed in the water - if placed in the water, be sure they drink it all in one day).

I hope I've helped shed some light on possible causes for this inappropriate urination. Please get Brunny some help! He depends on YOU just as a child would!

Regards,
    ladyandjan Posts: 191, Reputation: 4

Jan 23, 2005, 10:33 PM
    My niece had a Manx (pure bred) when she was married and they told me he sprayed one wall all the time. They took him to the vet and he told them to have the cat fixed to stop it from doing this. Never did find out if they had cat fixed as they got divorced shortly thereafter. I just wondered if this really is a solution to a cat spraying or urinating? Anyone ever been advised to have their cat fixed?
    tiger_3leg Posts: 31, Reputation: 2

Jan 24, 2005, 09:11 PM
    I agree with Koriani. It is very important to have at least a urinalysis done to rule out a urinary tract infection (UTI). Also, good food is also very important.
    I have a cat that does the same as what you are describing. He is now about 6 (was a stray tomcat when I rescued him). Since the day I got him, he has sprayed and peed in certain areas of my house (and often not in the litter box). But, we've learned how to prevent this:
    1. we no longer use covered litter boxes.
    2. we use Feliway diffusors throughout the house.
    3. we let him outside when he wants to go out.
    Because he was a stray until we got him, he never settled to being an indoor kitty. For the most part, the uncovered box and Feliway to the trick, but he still occasionally has temper-tantrums and starts spraying if we don't let him out (usually on my bed).
    Because I work at a vet, he has gone through a vast array of tests, trying to find ANYTHING that might be causing this, but didn't find one single thing out of normal range. We did try some behavioral medications, but nothing helped.
    So, I'd recommend starting with the basic tests and good diet, then try using uncovered boxes and Feliway.
    Good luck
    tiger_3leg Posts: 31, Reputation: 2

Jan 24, 2005, 09:14 PM
    Oh, and as for neutering solving the problem... it MAY help, but not always. The stray that I mentioned above is neutered, and still sprays. Also, female cats, even when spayed, and spray as well. It tends to work better for kittens that are neutered/spayed before reaching sexual maturity, but it is certainly not 100%.
    Sorry.
    ladyandjan Posts: 191, Reputation: 4

Jan 25, 2005, 09:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tiger_3leg
    I agree with Koriani. It is very important to have at least a urinalysis done to rule out a urinary tract infection (UTI). Also, good food is also very important.
    I have a cat that does the same as what you are describing. He is now about 6 (was a stray tomcat when I rescued him). Since the day I got him, he has sprayed and peed in certain areas of my house (and often not in the litter box). But, we've learned how to prevent this:
    1. we no longer use covered litter boxes.
    2. we use Feliway diffusors throughout the house.
    3. we let him outside when he wants to go out.
    Because he was a stray until we got him, he never settled to being an indoor kitty. For the most part, the uncovered box and Feliway to the trick, but he still occassionally has temper-tantrums and starts spraying if we don't let him out (usually on my bed).
    Because I work at a vet, he has gone through a vast array of tests, trying to find ANYTHING that might be causing this, but didn't find one single thing out of normal range. We did try some behavioral medications, but nothing helped.
    So, I'd recommend starting with the basic tests and good diet, then try using uncovered boxes and Feliway.
    Good luck
    Appreciate the info but the cat was not mine and since the people who had it are divorced I will see if one of them still has the cat and pass along how to resolve the spraying.
    always_learning Posts: 54, Reputation: 2

Jan 25, 2005, 11:27 PM
    From One Cat Lover to Another
    Here is my contribution from Australia.

http://www.lovemypet.com.au/advice/cat/cat-spraying.htm
    dswwi5 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2005, 10:33 PM
    Help... for Cat who is pissing off your husband
    I assume he doesn't have a urinary tract infection... So I can only assume he has a behavorial problem. To correct a behavioral problem, you need to think hard very hard to when the problem started and what is going on in his territory to cause him to do this.. Does he not like someone, fighting, keeping him in, changing food, litter box not clean enough... etc. etc. Here are some tips to stimulate him and help you.. You need, however, to give him a lot a lot a lot of attention more than the other cats right now.. Hold him when you get home, at night, as much as you can.. Cover the places he urinated with tinfoil and pepper. Put a small disk of food on the places where he goes. DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT discipline him if you don't catch him in the act.. This will only cause more aggression.

Do make him a cat condo ASAP. Try some of these to stimulation all of your animals.. They just may be bored to death of their old toys and things. Make sunny places for them to sit in the sun.. Put radio on for them... Animals Station... Keep the environment as quiet as possible. No yelling or screaming.. It will scare him more... If he goes under the pet.. Take a toy and play with him under the bed.. Or let him stay there, put his food , water, and toys may a small bed in a box under the bed for him.. [B]possibly something has scared him to death
    Good Luck, Sharon, Cat Behaviorist in Boston, MA

Stimulations Aids or Cats

The below list is five years of compilation of things that I have found to be effective in attempting to stimulate all different personalities in cats. Good Luck!

Cat Condos...... MY FAVORITE… The best one is a heavy duty UPS box, tape it, cut a hole in the front for entrance and few peep holes around it. Put a warm cozy blanket inside, add some cosmic catnip and place it in a private place... In fact, some cats who also have had cat trees, have loved the condo so much, that owners have covered the condo the decorative contact paper. This is, by far, my favorite stimulation toy! It works miracles! DON”T FORGET THE CATNIP

Inexpensive Toys... The only store toys that I have found that really work for play things for cats are ostrich feathers.. The remaining toys you can make right at home. A piece of thin material or average cotton rope about six feet long (cuts on the left and right side of the material,) taped to a wooden spoon with a few bells attached to the spoon is a fun toy. Sorry I don’t have a picture of this.. However, anything you make at home. Receommend a few bells to the top of the toy so they hear the noise and place a big knot at the bottom of the toy because they can grasp it easier.

Household Duster... This is a new recommendation for me.. It has worked well with a lot of clients. (picture attached with scratching post) You can purchase a bright colored long handled duster at any hardware store. White sitting in your favorite chair watching your favorite TV show, place the duster under a rug and play push and pull the duster under the rug with your foot. Cats take to this game and will exercise him thoroughly before bedtime.

CAT VIDEO… SECOND FAVORITE… I don’t think we talked about this one. This is a good for boredom for indoor cats. The one advertised on the web is 2, 4 or 6 hours long. …… The one I’m thinking is called Cat Adventure. Search for Cat Adventure Video on the Web..

A LOT OF CATS and PRIVACY… Make sure you have a place high enough so some cats who want to get away get do so.. For example, On Top of a refrigerator or cabinet. Some cats want privacy as they get older. My 18 year old had his own place. He had to jump two small places to get to it. Everyone knew it was Desiree’s place.. and no one sleep there except her.. It was her BED and PLACE.

Scratching Posts... … Here’s a different and new post to try placing a little catnip on his scratching post each day. Buy a few on the VERY LARGE floor cork or cardboard scratchers. There is a popular one out there that has a ball in it and the cardboard in inside. Place one near his litter box, one near his food, and maybe one near hideaway bed. (picture attached with a yellow duster) Household Duster... This is a new recommendation for me.. It has worked well with a lot of clients. (picture attached with scratching post) You can purchase a bright colored long handled duster at any hardware store. White sitting in your favorite chair watching your favorite TV show, place the duster under a rug and play push and pull the duster under the rug with your foot. Cats take to this game and will exercise him thoroughly before bed time.

Flashlight Shine a SMALL scope flashlight on the wall, etc. will give them both a lot of exercise.
    Cat Bed,… An individual cat bed is always nice. . You can use a regular basket with a pillow
    Fishing Pole… This is a fabulous interactive toy for you and your cat. You can make your own.
    A Place of His Own... Ensure that each cat has his/her own special, private place
    Bird Feeder... A bird feeder is a must treat for an indoor cat. I think you said you had one already.
    TV... Try putting the television on. Try and animal TV station. All cable TV have it today.
    Radio... Play classic music on the radio as an alternative to television.
    PingPongBalls or Table Tennis Balls. … another great toy.

Telephone... Call them once or twice a day from work. No it is not stupid… In fact, if you don’t want to call them a lot, just ensure that you volume is up and they hear you voice when other people call you.

Catnip... Buy some good catnip. I have found Cosmic Catnip to be one of the best catnips on the market. If you sew, make them a few

DRAPES AND SHADES.. Leave drapes and shades open and shades up while you are at work. Cats need and love warmth. They sit in the sun for hours at a time.

Lights... Recommend night lights for all cats no matter what age they are… FYI….. Cats can really see that well in the dark. Yes, they can see better than us, but a little guidance goes a long way and…. It alleviates the pumping into each other during the night.

Food and Water Containers… Some studies have shown sickness in cats who are feed with plastic feeders, especially water feeders. It is recommended to use regular or ceramic bowls….… Think about how many times you have drank from a plastic glass and said that taste horrible…

Discipline Just a reminder….. Never discipline if you don’t catch him in the misbehavior. When you do catch him… Say NO….. LOUD…LOUD.. Or use a small water pistol, shake a can of small rocks. Now I can add the bathroom as a punishment.

Litter Box... NEVER put the litter box near their food. Make sure it is in a quiet place with privacy. Not even the bathroom… It is used too much.. A corner of a bedroom is great with a window open. You don’t have a problem here. But I am listing my suggestions anyway,…Always separate food and water from the litter box. Also put or make a small tall screen around the box, tall enough so it is private a cat. LITTER… There are tons to choose form today. I personally like the scoopable litter. If you choose to use a plastic liner. Save yourself money but using the large cheap green plastic bags and lining the plastic with Newspaper Sheets. Make sure you put the newspapers in the box too because the urine will smell more often on the plastic if you don’t use newspaper. When you are ready to change the litter, all you do is turn the bag inside out and through it away… It is always recommended that you wash your litter box at least once a month for freshness. Use just regular dishwasher or shampoo on it… Don’t use anything harsh like Wisk, Cheer, etc

EXTRA…….. Vacation or Away… Never leave your cat home alone for any longer than one day. Never put him in the basement. If you basement has been renovated with carpet, etc. and is warm with lights that is fine. Get a cat sitter or board her while you are away.. A cat being left alone for anything over two days can cause serious behavior problems. …U….. wouldn’t want to be down there. So why put them down there, right? Think about it would you like to be in a damp, cold, black room?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

Who did this song: from the 80's, probably called "typical" or "that's typical" [ 2 Answers ]

Some lyrics as I hear them: Windowsill, my elbow's numb As I heard the door go and saw your car As it glides onto the road Double wasted dumbness Sodding off and I can't hear you go And that's typical There you sit in the driving seat

"Protect" and "Preserve" [ 6 Answers ]

What is the difference of the word "Protect" and "Preserve" ? Especially when it is used to mean protecting something. Sorry if my English is strange. (Preserve: to save something or someone from being harmed or destroyed, to make something continue without changing. / Protect: to keep someone of...

View more questions Search