Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gautam_k30 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2013, 03:18 AM
    Filing tax returns in US for 2012 for staying less than 90 days on L1 visa
    Hi,

I travelled to USA on a L1 B visa for a client requirement and was part of my employers US arm from Nov 26 2011 till March 23 2012. I filed my tax returns for 2011 which I received. I have moved back to India and would need to file US tax returns upon receiving my W2. I would like to know in case the entire amount of tax will be returned, both state and Federal, as I was in USA for less than 90 days of 2012. Kindly help.
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

Jan 30, 2013, 07:18 AM
    That would depend how high your income was, there is no rule that would state that someone staying less than 90 days would get all taxes paid back. You need to file a return and see if you get a refund.
    You would file form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ
    Form 1040NR, U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return
    Form 1040NR-EZ, U.S. Income Tax Return for Certain Nonresident Aliens With No Dependents
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 30, 2013, 05:15 PM
    You will prbably get a refund of some type, but it will NOT be a full refund.

Income earned while INSIDE he borders of the U.S. is fully taxable if the source of the income is U.S.-based, which your income was.

You need to file Form 1040NR with Form 2106 to claim daily living expenses, because you CANNOT claim the standard deduction of $5,950.

If you believe that you will need professional help filing this year, this IS what I do. Please double-click on my name (Atlanta Tax Expert) above to access my profile. You will find my email address in the signature portion of the profile (scroll down to the BOTTOM of the page).
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 30, 2013, 10:43 PM
    File your nonresident tax return and claim itemized deductions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

L1 visa - first time filing tax returns 2010 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I came from India to US in 2009 April on L1 visa and have been working here since then. My spouse and kid joined in Nov 2009. Spouse is not working but she has got SSN but not for kid. My wages as per W2 for the period I was here this year is just under 40K. I would like to know 1. What all...

L1 Visa holder in US Filing Tax Returns [ 7 Answers ]

I travelled to US in August 2009 and will stay here for 10 months. I am married and my wife has not travelled with me and will not be coming in future as well. I want to know if I can file tax returns for 2009 as married and claim tax benefits.

L1 visa, filing tax returns for dependents, self [ 3 Answers ]

I was on L1 visa work permit in US, Foreign National from May 2008 - Nov 2008 , My wife and my kid did not stayed with me for the entire period but they are having valid L2 visa. I have received my W2, and would like to know few things related to tax return 1) Can I file the tax return as...

Filing Tax Returns for a J-1 visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Tax Experts: I am a J-1 visa holder,(single, have no dependants and no one can claim me as a dependant) Based on this status I am employed by a company. I filled out appropriate documents when I commenced my job. I worked for two months only last year 2007. (November and December). My...

L1 visa, filing tax returns for dependents, self [ 2 Answers ]

I was on L1 visa work permit in US, Foreign National from Jan 2006 - Mar 2006 and Jun 2006 - Sep 2006. My wife and my kid stayed with me for the entire period. She was on L2 visa. I have received my W2, and would like to know few things related to tax return 1) Was my wife eligible to apply...

View more questions Search