Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Elvisrosas Posts: 31, Reputation: 4

Jan 30, 2013, 12:02 AM
    Help gaining weight.
    I am 19 years old and I have been the same weight ever since I was 15 (120lbs) I have tried everything , working out, eating a lot of proteins and eating fat foods but nothing had been working to make me gain any weight if anything I have been losing weight. What am I doing wrong?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 30, 2013, 12:06 AM
    Why do you want to gain weight? (Are you male or female?)

Jan 30, 2013, 12:14 AM
    I am male and to boost my confidence , be more stronger and just not look like a skeleton and what I mean about confidence is that mostly every one is bigger than me and stronger I get pushed really easily and can't do what most people can do strength wise and its so weird because I have been lifting weights and I can't get any stronger
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 30, 2013, 12:17 AM
    Are you lifting weights properly? Do you consult with a trainer?

Have you ever done yoga or karate?

Jan 30, 2013, 12:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Are you lifting weights properly? Do you consult with a trainer?

Have you ever done yoga or karate?
    I have been lifting since I was 15 I have been supervised by trainers and told me I have been doing everything right and no I never tried those I was in boxing for a while but I don't think that's the same as those
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 30, 2013, 12:24 AM
    Are you pushed around and bullied? Or just want to be stronger and more solid with muscle?

Jan 30, 2013, 12:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Are you pushed around and bullied? Or just want to be stronger and more solid with muscle?
    Stronger and just gain weight I always feel really sad and like want to hide when people talk about their weight like how some one is 140 or 160 lbs
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jan 30, 2013, 12:34 AM
    I had this problem until I was about 27 or so. I remained almost the same weight as I had been in my late teens. I tried weight gainer formula and that did work but it was terrible tasting... I finally gave up trying. Well, it finally came to me naturally as my metabolism slowed down... I bulked up and now I am a normal weight for my size.

Your metabolism is probably working against you... try not to worry about it too much. It's not the end of the world.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 30, 2013, 12:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvisrosas View Post
    Stronger and just gain weight I always feel really sad and like want to hide when people talk about their weight like how some one is 140 or 160 lbs
    Someday they will be old and fat and you will be handsome and wiry and thin!! Our biggest problem in life can come from envy. Do your best with weigh training but do it for YOU to feel good and to have pride in how well your body works. Do not try to outdo others because there will always be someone more handsome or stronger or more buff than you are. Appreciate your own good qualities. Maybe your mind is sharp and you are good with math. Maybe you have a special fondness for designing and architecture. And remember what I said in the beginning -- someday the others will be FAT!!
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2013, 01:33 AM
    I'm a middle aged woman who needs to loose weight but I used to work out with a guy who's an amazing body builder and man, he got me into great shape. I've gone back to working out with him and he's really given me an education. I asked him for the same advise for my son and this is what h told me.

First, as you add muscle, you will increase your metabolism, so it can be tough to make this work when you already have a high metabolism. You will have to increase your caloric intake to offset the calories burned in the workout as well as the increased metabolic rate when you are at rest.

Second, to build muscle, you need to push each muscle to the point of failure with each workout. They say two to three sets of 8 to 12 reps. For efficiency I would go for two sets of 8. If you get to that sixteenth rep and you are able to finish it, you aren't lifting enough weight. Add some weight and do a third set to the point of failure.

Third, with a naturally slim build, you need to recognize the type of body you are able to naturally achieve. You are unlikely to be able to become Joe the Body builder because your body will not want to accumulate that much mass. However, you can likely to achieve a lean muscular build like a runner or swimmer. So, have realistic expectations.

Fourth, you need to rest adequately between workouts. Your muscles only get bigger by basically tearing a bit, then repairing at rest. So if you're impatient and try to work the same muscle every day, you are defeating your progress.

Fifth, you need to refuel immediately after you work out with a blend of complex carbs and proteins. If you don't, your body will canibalize itself to repair that muscle and you'll spin your wheels trying to add weight.

Sixth, you need to sleep enough. Get yourself on a schedule.

A lot of skinny guys live on junk food and eating healthy is as important for gaining muscle as it is for losing weight for fat people. Cut out pop, candy and other junk and eat plenty of complex carbs, proteins, healthy fats, fruits and vegetables. Even though you're thin you can still have problems like high cholestorol or high blood pressure, so don't be complacent about it - food it fuel and if you want to optimally build muscle, you need quality fuel.

A lot of thin people cannot eat a lot at once and grow frustrated trying to eat big meals. You know, big meals aren't that good for you and when you get older, pushing that habit on yourself can put you in the overweight category - this speedy metabolism will not last forever. So don't try to eat a ton at once. Graze. Carry snacks with you and just eat through the course of the day. It takes some plannning but you'll find that you can establish habits and it gets easier to throw a bag of plenty of snacks together so you have all you need to eat through the day.

My son is built like you and is a elite competitive rock climber. He burns through a huge number of calories but also has ADHD and his meds kill his appetite. We've arrived at a formula of pretty constant snacking. He eats every three hours. He's a teenager and I send him to school with hard boiled eggs, cubes of turkey and cheese, whole grain crakers, prepared fruit - peeled or cut up or whatever to make them easier to eat and more appealing, raw vegetables with salad dressing, peanut butter (you can buy little individual servings), yogurt (we freeze it - by lunch time it's thawed and still cold and fresh). At school he supplements with chocolate milk, baked sun chips, and other food, always trying to choose the healthiest option. He loads up when he's hungry - usually when his meds wear out at night. He's gained 20 pounds of muscle in about a year and a half, so it works well.

I hope that helps you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 30, 2013, 01:36 AM
    A question not asked, what is your height, to determine what weight you need to be, ( not what you think you should be)

Jan 30, 2013, 10:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    A question not asked, what is your height, to determine what weight you need to be, ( not what you think you should be)
    I am 5'7

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Weight gaining [ 1 Answers ]

Can I gain weight within a month..

I ma gaining weight [ 4 Answers ]

Please help, (after late abortion because child abnormality, in September) Lost month I decide to take a prenatal pills and I gain 10 p , I stop taking but I am steel gaining especially in a belly I don't now WATS wrong with me can it be a hormone or something else

Why am I gaining weight? [ 2 Answers ]

I work 11 hours a day and I go to school full time. I eat less than I normally eat but I have a 'dunlap'! I don't understand why I'm in a size nine pants from a five just a year ago. Is it because my job is a sit down? Or can it be something worse? I went to the dr a few months ago and she said my...

Can't Gaining Weight [ 8 Answers ]

Before I say anything please do not come in here telling me that I should be grateful that I am not obese. I understand that. But being underweight is as much an issue as being overweight. With that said... I am 20 yrs old, 5 feet 8 inches, and.. here is the kicker... only 94 lbs. You can see...

Gaining weight [ 6 Answers ]

What is a good way to gain weight. I took that BMI test and I'm under by like 5 pounds maybe more. Im tall so I look skinny. I try to eat 3 meals a day and I hear potatoes slow down your metabolism which I try to eat more of. What else can I do? Im active so I burn a lot of calories doing sports...

View more questions Search