Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    callicocal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2013, 11:29 PM
    How do I help an arthritic dog?
    I have an older Newfoundland that seems to be getting arthrtic. I have him on glucosamin/chondroitin. I'm a naturalist and don't like to use prescription drugs on my animals. The vet wants to put him on Rimadyl but I've read that it's very hard on a dogs kidneys. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 30, 2013, 02:03 AM
    I agree with no drugs. Get him a waterbed and lots of other comfortable spots and let him age. Some vets give cortisone shots. You could try one. Big dogs just have to go through this. I've seen arthritic dogs like both super cold like lying in snow, and super warmth like a heated bed. I'm arthritic myself and find that both hot and cold water (on my hands anyway) feel good, but mainly heat. I'd get him a plastic kiddie pool for the yard in the summer and take him to a lake for a special treat.
    marq123 Posts: 47, Reputation: 5

Jan 30, 2013, 02:22 AM
    Your vet doesn't have any other suggestions knowing how you feel about drugs?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2013, 09:02 AM
    I would think that if the Vet had other suggestions the OP wouldn't be asking.

Agree with "Joy" BUT I have a severely arthritic large dog. I don't like to give her any medications BUT her standard of life, in pain all the time, having difficulty getting up, was not good, and I had to resort to medication. In the past she also had acupuncture and swam in a local "dog pool" at a dog therapy facility.
    samcreed Posts: 132, Reputation: 18
    -

Jan 30, 2013, 10:35 AM
    When arthritus gets so bad that the dog can't move without whimpering, it's time to do something, and not let it suffer so much. Some drugs do not harm dogs very much, and one good one, used by my Vet, is Tramadol, also used by Humans. Dosage depends on the dog's weight.
    Any kind of therapy, without using drugs is always better, IF it works. If it doesn't work, then let the dog take a drug or drugs to at least be able to get around without too much pain.
    I do hope some of those who answered your question does not get arthritus so bad that they can't move, without help of a drug or two! Good luck with your dog. I have 3, from 6 yrs old to 12 yrs old, and 5 cats.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2013, 10:39 AM
    You could try putting her on Adequan. It's the same components as glucosamine but is more direct. Instead of having to be broke down by the gut, it's an injection into the muscle and promotes and builds more fluid in the joints that is thicker.

Rimadyl is not a bad choice and if monitored threw bloodwork you can prevent kidney disease associated with rimadyl. The thing with dogs is there isn't a lot things out there to help them with pain. You don't need to give it daily, give it to her in her bad days. This would be similar to you taking an aspirin for a headache or body ache.

Being a naturalist isn't bad, but sometimes you need to consider the quality of life over style of living. Your dog is uncomfortable.. It's your responsibility to make his senior days as comfortable as possible.
    samcreed Posts: 132, Reputation: 18
    -

Jan 30, 2013, 10:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky098 View Post
    You could try putting her on Adequan. Its the same components as glucosamine but is more direct. Instead of having to be broke down by the gut, it's an injection into the muscle and promotes and builds more fluid in the joints that is thicker.

Rimadyl is not a bad choice and if monitored threw bloodwork you can prevent kidney disease associated with rimadyl. The thing with dogs is there isn't a lot things out there to help them with pain. You don't need to give it daily, give it to her in her bad days. This would be similar to you taking an aspirin for a headache or body ache.

Being a naturalist isn't bad, but sometimes you need to consider the quality of life over style of living. Your dog is uncomfortable.. It's your responsibility to make his senior days as comfortable as possible.
    Your last paragraph is very, very good!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

10 yr old arthritic cavalier suddenly pooing in sons bedroom [ 8 Answers ]

Happened 2 weeks ago and no changes in routine food etc

One sick dog and one healthy dog, Healthy dog quit eating [ 4 Answers ]

I have two dogs, a male bassett and a femal black lab mix. Ever since the basset got sick last week and went blind in one eye my healthy dog has quit eating. She wants outside all the time and sits at the door when not outside. The healthy dog will only eat treats and not her regular food that...

My dog ate a meat bone my dad gave him. My dog is now shaking and is lethargic [ 10 Answers ]

My dad heard on a radio show it is good to give dogs bones. So he gave my dog a meat bone and now my dog is shaking and acting lethargic. What should I do I am worried and concerned??

Painkillers for arthritic dog [ 3 Answers ]

Would an aspirin a day harm a 12 yr old collie X suffering from arthritis ?

View more questions Search