Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HdAlabama Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2013, 01:37 PM
    I'm a J-1 non resident worker living abroad, how do I file my taxes?
    I worked in the US last year for the winter season in a restaurant with a J1 visa. Now I'm trying to file my taxes, but I don't know where to start, I mean, I don't have my W-2 and I don't know if I should claim it somehow, since I'm living in Argentina. I know I have to file the 1040NR-EZ form and that's it. Also I have a back account at CO so I can deposit my refunds there. I'm sorry if this questions are silly but this is very confusing and I really want to do this by myself and I can't find the procedure anywhere.

Thank You.
    Ignacio.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 29, 2013, 11:36 PM
    Ignacio,

Contact the restaurant where you worked. They likely do not know WHERE to send the W-2, or have already mailed it and it is enroute in the postal system.

They likely will scan the W-2 and email it to you if you ask for it.

You need to file Form 1040NR-EZ AND Form 8843, PLUS the state tax return for Colorado.

If you believe that you will need professional help filing this year, this IS what I do. Please double-click on my name (Atlanta Tax Expert) above to access my profile. You will find my email address in the signature portion of the profile (scroll down to the BOTTOM of the page).
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 31, 2013, 12:44 AM
    You should get W-2 from your employer. Based on the info in W-2, file your nonresident tax return and Form 8843. Also, you may have to file state tax return if income exceeds the filing requirements.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

US citizen, living abroad for 10 years, have never filed taxes... help... [ 3 Answers ]

I am a US citizen married for ten years to a British citizen. Of the past 11 years, 9.5 I have lived and worked some of the time in UK for UK companies paying UK taxes. For the past 18 months I haven't worked and am living in Qatar with British husband who is working for a local Qatari company....

US Taxes for Non Resident Alien Abroad [ 1 Answers ]

I am a non US citizen and a non US permanent resident. I was working in New York City for a US company on an H1B visa. In September 2010, I relocated to Thailand to work at the Thailand office of the same company. I used a tax advisor to file my US tax returns for 2010 as dual-status alien. ...

US citizen married with a non-resident alien living abroad - spouse exclusion? [ 1 Answers ]

After reading around I have confirmation that myself as a non-resident alien living abroad married to a US citizen living abroad do not need to fill in US tax (I can "chose" not to). However, for my wife 1040 declaration, she will be choosing the "married filling separately" option. But then,...

Resident Alien abroad - how to file? [ 5 Answers ]

I am a resident alien abroad (Green Card). I've lived abroad for a while because I was at college & didn't know I needed to file but intend to this year. I'm going back to the US next year. What should I do?

H1b worker filing CA taxes as non-resident? [ 3 Answers ]

Here are some question for CA state income experts out there. Unfortunately(?) I am no longer in CA so I can not get a knowledgeable expert locally: - Being an H1B worker in California for the most of last year so I was by definition of my status "temporary worker" and therefore was in CA...

View more questions Search