Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fuffles Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2013, 07:00 AM
    Can two female rats live with one male?
    I have two adult female rats that live together, can I put a male in to mate with them or would I have to take one female out 1st? Also if one gets pregnant do I have to take the female that's not pregnant out. I no I have to remove the male.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2013, 07:35 AM
    The females will fight if they are with a male. And, yes, adults eat babies - their own and others.

Did you do much research before you purchased these animals?

Jan 29, 2013, 10:25 AM
    Yes about my two females who are happy together, I am not getting a male until I no more, That's WHY I ASKED THE QUESTION
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jan 29, 2013, 10:49 AM
    They likely will fight... probably with the male because he is now invading their territory. You are better off to get this breeding fantasy out of your head if you actually care about the rats you have now.

Jan 29, 2013, 10:55 AM
    How do I not care about my rats just because I want to breed them, I'm obviously trying to do it properly otherwise I wouldn't have asked the question I would have done regardless. I love my rats very much for your information and would not do anything to harm or upset them.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 29, 2013, 11:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fuffles View Post
    I love my rats very much for your infomation and would not do anything to harm or upset them.
    Then do NOT breed them!!
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jan 29, 2013, 12:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Then do NOT breed them!!!
    I seem to agree with WG... if you care like you say you do, then why take chances?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2013, 12:44 PM
    Typing in caps is the same as shouting at me - please stop.

People who love their animals don't breed them.
    APoetCalledAnya Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Aug 25, 2013, 01:44 PM
    The females may be too old to safely breed. Rats who have never had a litter and are older than 6 - 8 months tend to have complications with pregnancy and birthing. (A c-section near me cost $600+ for a rat.) Rats older than 10 - 12 months who have never had a litter should not be bred. (By the way, breeding increases the risk of mammary rumors and may forever change the personality of the rat.)

The male may become overly excited and severely beat them up and injure them. The females may hurt him for invading their territory. New rats should be quarantined for at least 2 weeks prior to coming in contact with your other rats. Then the rats should be introduced on a neutral territory to reduce the chance of fighting.

Females can be housed together when pregnant and when they have a litter. However it is not recommended as females often steal each others babies and this can lead to fights and babies getting injured.

How old are they? Where did you get them from? If you do not know their age (within a week of it) and you do not know their background genetics then you should not breed them. Many pet store rats were breed for the sake of NOT being pets and not expected to live long. So concerns of the females being prone to tumors and passing that increased chance to their offspring was not factored in when they were breed. Hence you would be breeding a tumor prone line and not breeding to better the line.

Just for my curiosity's sake... Do you know how often a female rat goes into heat? How long their gestation is? When do you separate the males babies from the females?
    RatMama20 Posts: 27, Reputation: 2

Aug 29, 2013, 11:49 AM
    If you want to mate them it's a good idea not to have two females in the same cage while its going on... This is from a site I rely on and ill also give you the link:
    -Some pregnant females can live with other females without any problems, but some pregnant females get very protective and may attack their other cage mates.
    -Some pregnant rats or new mothers can become selectively aggressive to other rats
    -Most females will reach Menopause at around 18 months. (I don't know how old yours are, but that may be helpful?)
    There's more in the link, it has everything you need to know about breeding your rats, and mixing two females. Rat Breeding/Rat Babies
    One very important thing is to be prepared for complications that you may need to take your momma to the vet for. And that site is a godsend I hope it helps you :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Well Pipe PVC,120 or 80, male on female or male ends both sides [ 0 Answers ]

Looking to put a new well in at my sons house. Already over budget and doing most the work ourselves. Well is 400 ft deep and static in at 330. Question is: PVC or Poly but I already think Poly is out as it is only rated at 200 PSI and we are close to that with head pressure and 50LBS. So if PVC,...

Why do my male rats keep peeing on me? [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2 male rats chocco and chip they are very loving towards me and all ways want cuddles and there not afraid to come see me but every time there snuggling into my neck they pee is there something I can do to potty train them?? (I`v had them nearly 2 months) Jelly Bean x xx

Male or Female? [ 4 Answers ]

Male or Female? You might not have known this, but a lot of Non-living objects are actually either male or female. Here are some examples: FREEZER BAGS: They are male, because they hold everything in, but you can see right through them.

Female vs Male [ 2 Answers ]

I am thinking about getting a Calvier King Charles Spaniel a. Would they do well in a crate?? :confused: b.What would be better Male or Female?? :confused:

View more questions Search