Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    12345 SJ Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2013, 06:28 PM
    1099 based salary paid / maternity
    I am as a 1099, on a based salary of 1600 a month. I get almost 2 weeks off paid vacation every year. Been working with same company for almost 4years. How should I handle my maternity leave and Im I entitle to get some paid time off? Since we pretty much do everything as a w2 but my boss left me as a 1099 so I could get more of a based income. I do work from 8am to 5pm, Monday to Friday. I am so confused??
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 28, 2013, 06:30 PM
    Sounds like your boss is illegally treating you as a consultant instead of an employee. But as a consultant you are not entitled to any benefits not in your contract.
    12345 SJ Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2013, 06:46 PM
    I have the option to change to w2 when ever I might want, but not sure what would be better for me to change and see if I qualify for maternity disability or stay and make an arrangement. I am sure I will get time off, but wanted to know if I have any options on the pay. Thank you
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 28, 2013, 06:52 PM
    The IRS has rules about what constitutes a wage employee or a contractor. Nothing you have said makes me believe you qualified as a contractor.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 28, 2013, 07:06 PM
    'my boss left me as a 1099 so I could get more of a based income'

Not true, come April 15. You owe a lot of taxes on 1099 income, number one reason being that the employer doesn't have to pay half the FICA deduction. I suspect that he knew that, and took advantage of you not knowing. You will need to figure out some way to have some deductions on Schedule C. Self employment tax has to be paid on Schedule SE. Then you fill out a long form 1040.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 29, 2013, 12:39 AM
    Agree, as a W2 you have to pay the full amount of social security, instead of company paying about 1/2, you get no unemployment benefits, and are not suppose to be getting vacation pay normally. There is no sick leave or maternity leave either unless your contract lists it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Salary expense 43000, Salary payable 11000, end of year 12500. How much cash was paid [ 1 Answers ]

Salary expenseon the books was 43000. Salary payable at the payable at the beginning of the year was 11000 and at the end of the year was 12500. How much cash was paid out of salaries?

What is the regulation for minimum salary based on the position/duties? [ 3 Answers ]

My job pays me a salary that is around 13% lower than the average for my position in the area I live. I took the position because of an agreement the GM made with me when I started. But he was fired not long after that and when he left so did the chances of the company honoring the agreement. Now I...

Is Percentage based salary Legal for H1B VISA ? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi Is Percentage based salary LEGAL for H1B VISA ? Ex: (70-30) like this.

Imputting income based on girlfriends salary ? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello to all I am currently paying child support in New York I recently moved in with my girlfriend to New Jersey my ex is taking me back to court to have the support increased how will my new living arangment affect the amount of support that I have to pay ?can the impute income based on her...

Un-paid salary [ 2 Answers ]

I worked as a sales rep for a physical therapy center (for a short period, two weeks and 2 days) before I quite. I did not trust the owner/president of This small company and the work environ became totally negetive, and besides, I did not want to become too much in hock to him lest I get burned....

View more questions Search